Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I apply the rear brake the drum makes a horrible howling noise any ideas, not dust in drum as I have cleaned them out the other week, and the shoes are almost new.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
When I apply the rear brake the drum makes a horrible howling noise any ideas, not dust in drum as I have cleaned them out the other week, and the shoes are almost new.
I`m just clutching at straws here, but what materiel are the new brake shoes made of?
Organic, ceramic, or semi-metallic?
Harder material than organic shoes could tend to squeal or howl I think.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure Gordon as they were in when I got the bike, only thing I do know is that they had recently been renewed, (O and they are green so maybe organic) good thought though if they aren't organic and are hard maybe you are right will have a look at them sometime and see. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Did your rear brake cam lever come out of adjustment? Needs to be 80-90 degrees angle to the brake rod. Don't know if this is the problem but you stated that the drum is clean and new shoes so this is all I can think of.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did your rear brake cam lever come out of adjustment? Needs to be 80-90 degrees angle to the brake rod. Don't know if this is the problem but you stated that the drum is clean and new shoes so this is all I can think of.
Thanks JM I will check that out, just a strange noise I have never had one do it before so any help/suggestions are appreciated :smiley_th

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Did you clean the shoes with sand paper and also scrub the drum with a rough sand paper. Clean especially on the hard shiney areas on the shoes. Hope this helps you.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Pull the shoes out and see if there's a shiny band on them too. Use some 120-150 grit paper and sand across the shoe, not its length.

Use a piece of wood to hold the sandpaper, for whatever you're sanding to prevent high spots.

Clean and rinse with brake or contact cleaner untill the liquids clear.

LIGHTLY grease the brake cam. Adjust the brake nut on back until you can hear the shoe scrape the drum, the back it out 1/2 turn.

Go out to a parking lot or empty street and speed up and brake just using the rear brake a good 40-50 times. Do Not brake hard... Just easy braking with firm pressure. The go for a ride doing the same, after 8-10 miles readjust the brake as outlined above. (putting the bike on the centerstand)

This should help bed in the brake pad and might get rid if the noise.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
i noticed mine making a noise just as i would apply the brake but would go away as i continued braking.i pressed the pedal lightly when not moving and noticed the same sound,only not as loud coming from the linkage.it only did it for a week and i haven't noticed it since.maybe with the wheel moving it is resonating the sound and making it louder?i don't know since i haven't looked back into it since the noise stopped and the bike stops fine

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys I will take off the wheel and have a look at it and give the shoes a rough up with sand paper and reset test and adjust over the next few days and will let you know how it goes :smiley_th

1 - 9 of 9 Posts