Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm not much of a wrench let alone very observant. After owning my VN for a year I finally noticed that the rear axle installation is reversed, that is, the threaded end is on the brake lever side. Will this damage anything and is it a major job to correct it?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I wouldn't think it'd be any problem to keep it like that.
As for changing it.... shouldn't be difficult at all. Just be sure you don't lose any of the spacers or washer.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Now thats a new one... LOL. So not only as you so delicately put it, "not very observant" neither is you PO and I would put it more on them than myself. As for damaging anything just as Hyper said I don't see how it could but I would switch it back to the proper installation. Wow that kinda blows my mind....sheesh ...people amaze me...LOL

Peace :beerchug:

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I am not Hyper but I might still have an answer none-the-less. The only reason that I can possibly fathom for doing such and it not being an error is that the final drive hole that the axle slides through might have been "Ovaled" out, or its a different size axle all together and they found it to be a better fit reversed as they did.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
It hasn't been a bother for more than a year. I'd leave it until it's time for new rubber.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hyper, aside from someone's error, would there be any good reason why the axle would be reversed?

Ditto to below...

I am not Hyper but I might still have an answer none-the-less. The only reason that I can possibly fathom for doing such and it not being an error is that the final drive hole that the axle slides through might have been "Ovaled" out, or its a different size axle all together and they found it to be a better fit reversed as they did.
Or.... they mighta gone by how the front axle is, as it removes from the left side. But in normal position, the rear removes from the right side.

Ya never can be sure why a PO did what they did. There may have been a perfectly sound reason for it at the time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all. As long as I'm not doing any damage I'll do as suggested and deal with it next time the rear wheel is off. Also, I am working on the observation thing!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey all. I'm not much of a wrench let alone very observant. After owning my VN for a year I finally noticed that the rear axle installation is reversed, that is, the threaded end is on the brake lever side. Will this damage anything and is it a major job to correct it?
I purposely turned mine around that way as my exhaust essentially covered the axle so spinning the axle so the crown nut was on the right meant if I needed to remove the wheel I didn't have to take the exhaust off to do it - damn custom exhausts ;)

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I purposely turned mine around that way as my exhaust essentially covered the axle so spinning the axle so the crown nut was on the right meant if I needed to remove the wheel I didn't have to take the exhaust off to do it - damn custom exhausts ;)
AHHHH... Never thought of that as a possibilty. Makes sense and I like it (also have a custom exhaust system)

Peace :beerchug:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts