Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike and I have always had this hate-hate relationship. The fuel tank on there now is the third since I bought the bike in 2005. The first was a week after I bought the bike rust perforated from the inside. The second I bought used on ebay I put it on the bike. It lasted a little over a year before rusting through. Now tank 3 I bought on ebay prepped the tank cleaned it with acid and then had it coated. 2 years later the coating turned to grey slime clogging the carbs and petcock. After cleaning with chemical stripper and a coating of naval jelly. It went back on the bike. last week I noticed the smell of fuel and there was something running down the top of my left air filter. It was gas it seemed to be coming from the petcock ordered new o-rings went to put them on today. It is not the petcock it is the left front tank ear. It is coming from between the ear and the tank I cannot actually see the leak so it will be nearly impossible to weld it back. So here is the dilemma Is it worth it to me to go through tank #4 mod a vn1500 or vn800 tank or sell the bike as is save some cash and look for a vulcan drifter (1500 of course). just fed up and rambling I guess Thanks for listening.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
go with a different tank... I am working out plans for an HD Fatbob Tank... I have a crappy set of tanks I am using as patterns to fab the mounting brackets to.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Look for a plastic tank? I've tossed the idea around - like a 4 or 5 gal.

Not cheap but... justgastanks.com

DT

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Is it because you removed your diaphragms in the gas lid and moisture sits in there and rusts?

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it because you removed your diaphragms in the gas lid and moisture sits in there and rusts?
thats what the first two were this one is vibration. if you put pressure on the tank ear it gets worse. It actually cracked instead of rusting.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I cracked the tab loose on a slow motion drop. A friend welded it back for me. He measured the distance between the two tabs, heated the broken one and bent it back so he could get to where the factory spot welds had popped. He laid a lot of weld over the area, heated the tab, and bent it back into place. He put wet rags around the work area to minimize paint damage. The tank sat empty for three weeks to be sure all the fuel vapors were gone. Has worked fine for two years now.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
My bike and I have always had this hate-hate relationship. The fuel tank on there now is the third since I bought the bike in 2005. The first was a week after I bought the bike rust perforated from the inside. The second I bought used on ebay I put it on the bike. It lasted a little over a year before rusting through. Now tank 3 I bought on ebay prepped the tank cleaned it with acid and then had it coated. 2 years later the coating turned to grey slime clogging the carbs and petcock. After cleaning with chemical stripper and a coating of naval jelly. It went back on the bike. last week I noticed the smell of fuel and there was something running down the top of my left air filter. It was gas it seemed to be coming from the petcock ordered new o-rings went to put them on today. It is not the petcock it is the left front tank ear. It is coming from between the ear and the tank I cannot actually see the leak so it will be nearly impossible to weld it back. So here is the dilemma Is it worth it to me to go through tank #4 mod a vn1500 or vn800 tank or sell the bike as is save some cash and look for a vulcan drifter (1500 of course). just fed up and rambling I guess Thanks for listening.
I saw a 99 drifter 1500 for 3,800$ over the week end. If I member right it was about 40k miles. This was in Chandler Ok.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"Ready to drop the match and walk away"

Make sure you post this on youtube.

DT

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Ready to drop the match and walk away"

Make sure you post this on youtube.

DT
If it comes to that i will. I am just exasperated with this every time I turn around something goes wrong. I may keep it to play with but the tags are being turned in tomorrow and it will be going into storage indefinitely. I had been toying around with cutting off the rear of the frame and using tubing to make "harley" - style rear rails and using a trailer fender that would wrap farther around the rear wheel. I was looking at fuel tanks earlier today I found these on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Gal-Fat-Bob-Style-Gas-Tank-w-Standard-Cap-Harley-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5d75c26cQQitemZ130417017452QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_681wt_882

I believe these can be fairly easily modded to fit the bike. By easily I have access to a welder and a good friend who does sheet metal work, large tanks, boilers and etc. If I start down this road will she still be a vn750 or just another frankenbike.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw a 99 drifter 1500 for 3,800$ over the week end. If I member right it was about 40k miles. This was in Chandler Ok.
The drifter will have to be next summer. We are entering the slow time here at work I need to prepare for winter.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
If it comes to that i will. I am just exasperated with this every time I turn around something goes wrong. I may keep it to play with but the tags are being turned in tomorrow and it will be going into storage indefinitely. I had been toying around with cutting off the rear of the frame and using tubing to make "harley" - style rear rails and using a trailer fender that would wrap farther around the rear wheel. I was looking at fuel tanks earlier today I found these on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Gal-Fat-Bob-Style-Gas-Tank-w-Standard-Cap-Harley-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5d75c26cQQitemZ130417017452QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_681wt_882

I believe these can be fairly easily modded to fit the bike. By easily I have access to a welder and a good friend who does sheet metal work, large tanks, boilers and etc. If I start down this road will she still be a vn750 or just another frankenbike.
these are the same tanks I am looking at modding.. its not as easy as it looks.. the top mounting tab has to be cut off, and a way to mount the rear of the tank has to be dealt with.. then there is the getting them to look right afterwords.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
I don't understand why you are having such troubles with rust and your tank. My bike is a 2001 model, the tank is in mint condition and has not a bit of rust, and I live up here in Minnesota, cold snowy winters, etc..
I have had my tank off, emptied, and the inside of it is in excellent condition.

And even if you are having rusty tank issues, that's no reason to kill or get rid of the bike. Like stated in previous posts, go with a plastic one or mod up a different one. I know one guy was putting a tank from a vn800 on his 750.

I don't know about all that tank lining and coating stuff, i have heard good things and bad about it.

Anyway, good luck.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand why you are having such troubles with rust and your tank. My bike is a 2001 model, the tank is in mint condition and has not a bit of rust, and I live up here in Minnesota, cold snowy winters, etc..
I have had my tank off, emptied, and the inside of it is in excellent condition.

And even if you are having rusty tank issues, that's no reason to kill or get rid of the bike. Like stated in previous posts, go with a plastic one or mod up a different one. I know one guy was putting a tank from a vn800 on his 750.

I don't know about all that tank lining and coating stuff, i have heard good things and bad about it.

Anyway, good luck.

you heard the bad things about coating from me the first tank was the original it rusted through a week after I purchased the bike. The stealership was not willing to help with the cost so I ordered a used tank from ebay. The tank was from a 1992 that was already fairly rusted inside. I hit it with muratic acid to clean it out per the advice from a friend. It rusted through also, but I do not know how rusted it was inside, or how much metal was removed with the acid. This tank was off of a 2003 with a little surface rust inside it was prepped and coated. Couple years later the coating turned to slime clogging the carbs and petcock. I cleaned the tank out and hit it with the acid, then naval jelly. This tank did not rust through, a weld on the left frame ear cracked behind the reinforcing plate. The reason for the "custom flame job" is I spend more time repairing the bike than riding. Between electrical issues the fact it has been hit 4 times in its parking space (none of my other former bikes were ever hit while parked at home). It has left me on the side of the road numerous times. When it comes to repair and mantainence I know what I am doing. I do not shortcut or jerry-rig (no offense Jerry). I do realize it is an 11 year old bike that was neglected by its first owner, but I never has these troubles with my 81 cx500, my 82 maxim 750, or my 92 fzr600. I definately did not have these problems with my 06 1500 classic. So please understand my aggrivation.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Well there you go Joe, all your previous bikes were known to be more reliable than our VN's. You have to try to kill a CX500. I bought my GL500 from a guy who let it sit outside for two winters (one severe) for $200 and it's still running great after 26,000 miles by me. It always starts, has never left me on the roadside, and is completely trustworthy (had it up to Canada twice).

I do feel your pain...

DT

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like I said i know it was neglected by the p.o. and it needed some work. I just assumed it would eventually be fairly reliable. My reason for looking at another 1500 is that my commute in the morning is up the carpool lanes on I95 the speed limit is 60 but if you do the speed limit you will be ran over. 20 mins of my commute the bike is screaming at at 7-7.5k rpm. At this kind or rpm I can only get 70-75 miles before I am on reserve. This bike has basically became like my fzr was, fun to play with, fun to ride around town, but sucks on the highway.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
these are the same tanks I am looking at modding.. its not as easy as it looks.. the top mounting tab has to be cut off, and a way to mount the rear of the tank has to be dealt with.. then there is the getting them to look right afterwords.

Hey slim have you thought about modding the frame to take the tanks.

·
1985 VN700A
8 Posts
:doh: Noooooooooo way, keep it....!!!!!! Hello to you and all of the Vulcan community...!!! I am new on this site and all of you have been very helpful in fixing mine, 85 VN700A. I FEEL YOUR PAIN, believe me, LOL, I rebuilt the top end, chains, heads, etc.... on this 700 years ago when I worked at a repair shop, the owner then wanted to sell it, my dad bought it, shortly after the stator went bad, well so far I have pulled the engine out 3 times and just pulled the carbs off for the 4th time to do them, it has sat for 8 years in dad's garage and he can no longer see so I bought it, there isnt but 400 miles on the rebuild that I did years ago, I am going over the entire bike, and I mean everything so when I fire it up i'm good to go, I did'nt know that the tank could do that on these bike's so I may do the same over the winter and put a different tank on...HANG IN THERE.....I am starting to have neurological problems from this bike, I think I will name it herpes....never goes away, just keeps coming back....I now wear a HELMET out in public...!!!!!!:drool:

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If you drop the match, it will look something like this.
[URL="
[/URL]

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
efw32010;151271I did'nt know that the tank could do that on these bike's so I may do the same over the winter and put a different tank on:[/QUOTE said:
Any metal tank will rust, particularly if it sat for a long time. Not keeping the tank full just makes it worse.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts