Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok ,I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask if any one wants to come to Ky next year and Maybe do couple of days at Natural Bridge and Red River Gorge and maybe down to Cumberland Falls time permitting.I will try to start checking early and see what we can hook up with as for lodging,The town of Stanton is nearby as well as a few cabins in the gorge area and a Motel and the State run Lodge at Natural Bridge all within 20 minutes of each other and Winchester and Lexington are 1/2 to 1 hours ride.Let me know and we'll try to pull something off for next year a little different if you want ,and Ruger ,I'll need you and the Buckeye bunch to help if we do go this Rte.Let the posts fly,let me know what you all think.:smiley_th

Edit and update; The date is set firmly for Aug.9,10,11 2013 .Wib suggested that I make this update so it woul be easy to find without digging through the whole thread,and i think it was a good Idea.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
now that is a long ride down. Although hopefully the wife will be on her own two wheels next year so it wouldn't be so bad. Id be interested but not commited at this point ( although some would say I should becommited....). Lol I want everyone to come up here maybe stay by one of the lakes and party.

Back on topic: I'll be following this and maybe try to add all I can.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
now that is a long ride down. Although hopefully the wife will be on her own two wheels next year so it wouldn't be so bad. Id be interested but not commited at this point ( although some would say I should becommited....). Lol I want everyone to come up here maybe stay by one of the lakes and party.

Back on topic: I'll be following this and maybe try to add all I can.
Looks like 7 hrs or better with stops included https://maps.google.com/ I did a search from Westland to Stanton Ky,little more info for you,Like I said this is early and just one Idea

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hey, you know it don't sound too bad for me... I did the routes on my Delorme Topo maps and got 342 mi. & 7 Hrs. for the quickest, then did a bit of vias and the shortest route and got 272 mi. & +/- 8 Hrs., that is using some 4 number Rds. ...lol...
I would be very interested if nothing rips, runs, or ravels between now & then...
PS-Found a route even 10 mi. shorter (262 mi.) and 7.5 Hrs., at least I think there are roads there...lol...
Although I would rather see it a bit farther south...:)...:beerchug:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
Denny, I know we talked about this back in May (at the Hocking Hills Poker Run) and I still think it's a good idea! as for the ride down from where we are, it looks like it's around 6 1/2 hrs! ALL freeway and that's WITHOUT stops! that will be ONE long ride! I will have to talk to the wife and see if she's up to it. if she is, I think we could work something out so, we could meet up with others in route! like, say, Bj7302 rides over to our house and then we meet up with kanuck69 in Columbus,Oh., then maybe meet up with M_Angell and wife in Cincinnati, maybe even pick up EZ-C while we are down there too! just to mention a few that we could pick up/meet on the way down!

but also, like kanuck69 said, this is would take up some of my vacation time next year, so I'll see what I can do.
Denny, drop me an email and let me know what how I can help.

M_Angell, I have thought about the same thing too! I think it would be a great ride up to MI.! also, from here to Westland,MI., it's just over 3hrs ride. that is a little more do-able for the wife and I. lol you to should drop me an email. let me know what you are thinking.

it's all good peeps! planing now for next year/summer should make things easier, to make things happen.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Found what I think would be my kinda ride up to Stanton Ky., only a slight bit of I-75, the rest looks like some very good ridin...
Map is skewed a bit to give a more detailed zoom, but there is a North arrow at the bottom of map below ...

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=rhb7zbkd

The map gives 262 mi. & over 7 hrs., but that is cage time, I think it will be closer to 6 hrs. on the cycle...
What do y'all think...??? See any bad roads or what...???

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
hey Denny...I would love to come out and see all of you guys, but that would be about a 700mile ride out (12.5 hours).

I think having a NJ plate in the mix would make it interesting to say the least...lol
I would even consider renting a trailer and towing the bike out for this, but somehow I don't think I can pull it off with my limited vacation time from work....not to mention talking the wife into letting me go for a week or two...:baby:

hey..it's a year away....you never know...right?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/QUOTE]hey..it's a year away....you never know...right?[/QUOTE]

IF you are a real good boy :) Jersey plates would be alright down this way,as for the mileage,CW4 had over 900 when he got here and then we went to OH,he did take the scenic rte, that included the dragon and the Cheraloa Skyway

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hey KC ???...Merc said he had a bike trailer....if it can take 3, then....mwaa haa haaaa !!!!...we need to all talk about this....I'd love to go and I aint got ANY commitments...free as a MF bird....and aint like its THAT far...I been thu there before on my way west...day trip at most....
I left NY and was in the Cumberland in 5 hrs....KY's closer if we go thru Pennsy....
Merc, chime in brother...interested ?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Interesting to say the least.... What fun is trailing the bikes out there? I can only fit two anyway, and one in the back of the pickup, but like I said, that's pretty lame (Edit - my word choice was a little aggressive I meant to say 'not as fun'.) END EDIT.

I have done the dragon before and it was awesome.

Trip like this you start with new tires haha.

this is something I might be interested in, kind of hard to make a concrete decision seeing how its a year away and all. But interested - yes.

Kenny

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Id ride the whole way as long as you guys came along...but warning ya now, I dont do interstates much...prepare fer PA Rt6 most of the way, lol...I'll be getting a small pension by then too, so can pay fer a motel or whatever...
Gas will be up to $5 a gallon by then too I bet...but if you guys go, and ride, damn well better believe I will....:smiley_th

562 miles from me btw, running the big roads...589 running the backs....

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Gas will be up to $5 a gallon by then too I bet...but if you guys go, and ride, damn well better believe I will....
Good insight ! Gasoline prices will start/are rising, future shows no reprieve.

WilliamTech

·
Registered
445 Posts
hey..it's a year away....you never know...right?[/QUOTE]

IF you are a real good boy :) Jersey plates would be alright down this way,as for the mileage,CW4 had over 900 when he got here and then we went to OH,he did take the scenic rte, that included the dragon and the Cheraloa Skyway[/QUOTE]

I ended up with 2,300+ miles by the time I got home. It was 1,274 miles to get to the Ranch. I got to do a trip report soon.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hey, when y'all wake up Tuesday morning it'll be 2013, so lets hear a bit more about the ride to Stanton... Darn, I turned 76 this month and if I meet up with many of you I need to get on the ball...lol...
And CW-4 if you want to come up this way, (I'm about 40-45 mi. NE of Huntsville) or close we could hook up and go up togather...
Folks lets talk a bit more about this, if it's still in the makin...???

·
Registered
445 Posts
I should be good depending on the date. If the time frame is between 1 June and I can get back nlt mid August, count me in.

Sent from my XT557 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, when y'all wake up Tuesday morning it'll be 2013, so lets hear a bit more about the ride to Stanton... Darn, I turned 76 this month and if I meet up with many of you I need to get on the ball...lol...
And CW-4 if you want to come up this way, (I'm about 40-45 mi. NE of Huntsville) or close we could hook up and go up togather...
Folks lets talk a bit more about this, if it's still in the makin...???
Yeah ,It's still on th plan list, I'm thinking Second eel in Aug.for for right now if the First weekend,every body Chime in and let me know what's best for them and we' set a definite date.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Sounds good to me, I was just wonderin...
Most anytime warm & dry would be fine with me... I'm retarded, no job, no money, and as far as I know no plans, so I'll just go along with the rest...lol...

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Sounds good to me, I was just wonderin...
Most anytime warm & dry would be fine with me... I'm retarded, no job, no money, and as far as I know no plans, so I'll just go along with the rest...lol...
Umm, you mean retired, right?

1 - 20 of 191 Posts