Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still frustrated from last night. If I thought that I could get enough cash out of parting out my wife's '02 750 to get her on the road on just about any bike I'd do it in a heart beat. Working too many hours to get in any real garage time, just found more damage from the broken cam chain, and a busted off mounting ear on her tank, spilled oil, missing tools arrrrg!!:BLAM::BLAM:

·
Rogue Warrior
130 Posts
That sucks!! I feel your pain!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bummer Rook! Too bad too...a 2002 is usually worth fixing....

I've always thought that parting out a VN750 would be more trouble than it's worth. Sure you could make more money parting it out, IF the its' parts are nice enough that you can sell enough of them. But, if it was that nice, you probably wouldn't need to part it out. Plus, dealing with people on ebay, the eBay proceedures and the shipping process can be frustrating at best. Not to mention that you will invest tons of time in disassembly, organizing, labeling, taking a million pictures, entering countless eBay listings and hunting down a mountain of boxes just to end up being stuck with a bunch of oddball parts that you have no clue what to do with. Why go through all of that? It just seems way easier to me to just get parts on eBay and do the repair.

I'm also thinking that you (not you specifically) should not factor in the original purchase price when calculating repair costs, and compare that to the current market value of the bike. If you did that, then no machine would be worth a significant repair because you will not get your money back anyway, right? Also, different bike just means different problems....and you'll just end up right back where you are now. You see... you only need to think about whether or not you like the bike and how dependable it would be afterwards, then decide if it is worth repair. Now if the repair is major, like a catastrophic failure or the bike has been a lemon and you didn't like it anyway or you just want a different bike, well, there are exceptions.

So, if it were me, I would either bite the bullet and fix it myself (I really feel sorry for anyone who has to rely on other people to fix their stuff), or just sell it as a "fixer upper" or "parts bike" and just get what I could for it. I think that too many VN750's have been prematurely put to death already and we should keep them going (within reason)...Holy V-Twin Batman! I sound like an activist! Sorry....

Anyway, that's just my opinion and not everyone sees things the same way....Good luck Rook! I hope it works out for you!

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Have you thought about dropping that engine from me in it instead? Surely gaskets would be easier then what you are going through or wouldn't the engine turn over?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can get about 120 degrees of movement, so it's not frozen but it makes rice crispy noisesbefore it refuses to move. I think things will go smoother when I get a decent amount of time to work on it.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
This kind of thing seems to never never happen at the end of the ridig season.
Bummer.

Never let anybody tell you that a vehicle is an investment. It is merely a purchase that depreciates, or at best, holds its own. Investments make money for you. Purchases always cost money. Some more than others.

I feel your pain. I had a Nighthawk 650 that I finally GAVE AWAY. Great bikes, but mine was sh*t. Now I have the Vulcan and life is good. For awhile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts