Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running and riding just fine when the bike hiccups and stumbles a little then stops running. Some times it will just bump start it’s self while coasting and if not then it will always start right back up with the button. Some trips it runs like a champ and no issues at all. All cables look good and I can’t find a problem or duplicate it consistently to track down its cause. Any clues as to the phantom headache that is happening to my 86 750 Bobber? I have done the ear shave and bobbed it but pretty much stock otherwise. It is garaged and I live in AZ so not really a cold or Hot issue since it is random during all weather. I always use premium and use a fuel additive. I am getting spark from all plugs and fluid levels look good also. I’m guessing something with carbs but I’m not sure on carbs too well so before I had my shop tear them apart for me I thought I’d ask for some help from the real experts on these bikes.
Thx in advance.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
look up POOGS(phantom out of gas syndrome) .if ya wouldn't mind,would you please do an introduction for us in the newbie section?and after you get your post count up,how about some pictures of your bike?thanks

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
POOGS was my first thought for issues but I have done the vent clean out and it has not seemed to help. And since it starts right back up I figured it was some other issue. Would changing the petcock to a free flowing version help with fuel flow? Any other guesses as to my problem?

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Does the switch ever act funny?

Also check connections under the left neck cover.

Premium isn't helping it any, but it's not causing it to stall. Is probably building up carbon though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Switch replaced

I had suspected a problem in the starter or kill switch so I removed and replaced them. Moved the location to the neck cover on the right side. Then I changed to a whiskey throttle while I was at it. ( cleaned up the look) problem still happening. Today I went back through the vent cleaning process ( just for giggles ) and removed my tank bag. I am having a thought that perhaps the tank bag is choking the fill vent? I will run it a bit and see if it helps, but since it has been random it might be a few days to get a good feeling on a fix.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
does it happen when the bars are turned either to the left or right?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
check for loose connections or bare wires under the headlight bucket

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No issues turning the bars and I will pull all connections on left side neck panel and dielectric grease every thing after work.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Reactions: Paulywog

·
Registered
110 Posts
X3 ignition switch. Blanche would cut off when I'd turn the bars.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Have you checked the battery terminal connections for tightness?

If you've got stock bike wiring (no blue wire mod done), next time it stumbles and dies, check to see if the headlight has gone off or is still on. If it's an ignition switch problem, the headlignt might turn off, which would greatly narrow down the problem if it is in fact electrical. If the headlight stays on, then you don't know much more than you already did. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Battery cables are firm and tight no give at all. The head light stays on and gauge cluster stays illuminated.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
entirely possible for the lights to stay on and loose ignition power if the switch is doing its wacky thing.. there are multiple poles and circuits in it
Yup. Sadly the headlight staying on is the least helpful diagnostic result. *laugh* Was worth trying though.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I personally have had

1. Loss of engine (shut off) while all lights still worked
2. loss of turn signals only (every thing else worked)
3. loss of headlight only (every thing else worked)

and combinations of the above happen to me when my ign switch was flaking.

good news on this is, you dont have to replace it, you can disassemble it and clean it and stretch the little springs a tiny bit to fix it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that sounds fun. I am getting another bike this weekend ( 08 Night Rod ) so will feel better about the VN being totally out of commission while I work on the ignition and will replace fuel lines, petcock, and filters while she is down.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just a suggestion, I did the coil relay mod, I have a 85. It helped Blanche by 100%, it's like she's new again!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine quit on me right before Christmas...had to walk my Biker a** home good mile.Seems like a bad battery can cause this issue too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts