Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Man, its been awhile! I feel like I need to go to the newbie section and re-introduce myself!

I am about to dig through this electrical forum for... I don't know what im looking for yet. I was parking the bike a few days ago and it just died. All the lights went off. The dash was dead. ALL electrical was dead. A few days later I went back out to see if there was anything obvious. I put the key in and it was working. it started up and everything. I thought, OK I'll drive it to the garage later. Today I started it and I pulled out to ride to the garage. As I was pulling out, it died. I turned the key on/off a few times... nothing. Then all of the sudden, it was back. I pushed the start button and it all turned off again. That happened once more and then I never got the electricity back again.

I feel this means there is a short somewhere. It could be in the start button or the starter? Or it could be any of the new electrical stuff I have added. Although I added that years ago and it has been fine. I have added a volt meter, clock, accent lighting, driving lights, a USB charging port, GPS dock, and converted everything over to LED.

I am hoping some of you have tips on were to start looking and what to start reading. Otherwise, I could be at this for awhile. Thanks for reading. I hope your bikes are doing better than mine right now!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Sounds like the puck on the ignition switch or loose plug on the harness.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. you've always given me great advise. I read up on the ignition switch and saw all the photos and was ready to tear in to it and try and fix it today. I took the seat off and checked all the wires. Everything looked fine. I checked the battery terminals and they both looked and felt tight. I put a screw driver on the negative terminal and it was in fact tight. Put the screw driver on the positive and it tightened up maybe 1/8 turn, at the most. After that I couldn't recreate the problem. So hopefully, as embarrassing as it might be, it might have just been a loose battery terminal.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Thank you sir. you've always given me great advise. I read up on the ignition switch and saw all the photos and was ready to tear in to it and try and fix it today. I took the seat off and checked all the wires. Everything looked fine. I checked the battery terminals and they both looked and felt tight. I put a screw driver on the negative terminal and it was in fact tight. Put the screw driver on the positive and it tightened up maybe 1/8 turn, at the most. After that I couldn't recreate the problem. So hopefully, as embarrassing as it might be, it might have just been a loose battery terminal.
You're welcome, and thanks, glad I could help a bit. One of my battery cables loosened up once and the voltmeter pegged at 15v.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts