Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I was heading for work this morning on my VN750 and shortly after I got on the interstate it started hesitating. I looked at the trip odometer and it read 110 miles, which is about when I have had to go to reserve in the past. Flip to reserve and try to figure where my next fillup is coming from. I read elsewhere that the reserve on the bike is 1/2 gallon and I've been getting over 50 mpg, I already am just barely going to make an early meeting, so I decide I can get gas on the way home after work. When I arrive at work the trip odometer reads 121 miles, I shut off the petcock and leave the bike in the parking lot. After work I don't even warm it up, I just start it and go. Go 3 or 4 blocks that is and it dies on me. I thought I was good for another 10 miles! I pushed it for a block then turned down a street with a slight downhill slope. I got on the bike and coasted along at 5 mph till I reached a major arterial street which just happened to have a 7/11 on the corner. :pepper: After filling it up it took quite a bit of cranking but it eventually started. FYI, filling it up on the side stand it takes 2.8 gallons.

So I'm asking all the experts out there, is 11 miles on a reserve tank at all typical? I was hoping for at least 20! Or did I somehow lose fuel while it was parked outside all day? I will say that both my bikes (this and my Hyosung GV250) leave a strong fuel smell in my garage if I put them away warm. I often leave the bike outside to cool when I get home, or else leave the garage door open for an hour.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
At 45-50 mph, I get around 48 mpg (one size larger on front tire). At Interstate speeds, that goes down rapidly. I've gotten as low as 32 mpg when I was late for an appointment and really pushing it. So it's possible your speed may have had something to do with the mileage you got.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going 75 on the interstate for about 10 miles... I expected the highway mileage to be better than the city mileage.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I get much better mileage putting around on country roads than I do blasting down the Interstate. Think that's pretty much everyone's experience. When you start going above 4,000 rpm, mileage begins to tank (no pun intended).

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I was going 75 on the interstate for about 10 miles... I expected the highway mileage to be better than the city mileage.
The 750`s gearing gives 14.5 mph per 1,000 rpm, so at 75 mph you are pulling a little over 5K rpm. I agree with flitecontrol about fuel economy dropping over 4K rpm.

As a rule of thumb you lose ~10% of your fuel economy for every 10 mph you are travelling over 55 mph. That means 20% less at the 75 mph you were riding on the highway. I think that may explain your running out of gas so soon.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I get 70 miles on a tank at 80-85mph

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well for me, my interstate speeds are largely determined by the surrounding traffic. I like to ride in the left lane when possible so I only have to worry about being cut off from 1 direction, but get out of the way if I'm holding up any real maniacs. I am quite happy going 75 and I have never gone over 80.

70 miles on a TANK? wow...

·
2,526 Posts
I shut off the petcock and leave the bike in the parking lot. After work I don't even warm it up, I just start it and go. Go 3 or 4 blocks that is and it dies on me.
So.......why did you shut off the petcock, and did you put it back on reserve when you started it? I had someone shut mine off once as a joke and I was able to get to the end of the parking lot before it ran out and died on me. I've gotten well over 20 miles on reserve and usually fill it with about 3.1 gallons when I do.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe you had some water in the tank. Where you had to crank it so much after fueling up seems odd. I regularly go to reserve even when I don't have to. If I am on a good straight road or the highway I switch just to get any water out and at faster speeds your less likely to stall out. Seafoam and K-100mg help with water in the tank but not fool proof and there is always the chance of bad/watery gas when fueling up so that is why I do the above.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Once when I was riding really hard I went to reserve at 107 and ran out at 112. (The only time I ever ran completely out) If you ride the 750 balls-out the mileage really drops.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Once when I was riding really hard I went to reserve at 107 and ran out at 112. (The only time I ever ran completely out) If you ride the 750 balls-out the mileage really drops.
not to self no more 7k shifts :rockon:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe you had some water in the tank. Where you had to crank it so much after fueling up seems odd. I regularly go to reserve even when I don't have to. If I am on a good straight road or the highway I switch just to get any water out and at faster speeds your less likely to stall out. Seafoam and K-100mg help with water in the tank but not fool proof and there is always the chance of bad/watery gas when fueling up so that is why I do the above.
I got water in the fuel tank on my car many years ago while filling up as the tanker was unloading.
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=149&Set=

1 - 12 of 12 Posts