Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just took my bike for a ride and a torrential Thunder Storm decided to grace me with its presence! It wasn't as bad as I expected, actually kind of fun! It smelled lovely, and I didn't get too wet, but I wasn't too dry either. It's okay for the bike to get whet while riding right? Anything I should know about it?
Ride safe,
Eli

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
So I just took my bike for a ride and a torrential Thunder Storm decided to grace me with its presence! It wasn't as bad as I expected, actually kind of fun! It smelled lovely, and I didn't get too wet, but I wasn't too dry either. It's okay for the bike to get whet while riding right? Anything I should know about it?
Ride safe,
Eli
You are obviously younger than me,I no longer find a torrential rainstorm as fun as you do,:D.

But seriously.the main thing is to slow down and be more careful.On a bike you are riding on a lot smaller piece of real estate than with 4 car tires.Be easy with the throttle and the brakes and keep an eye out further ahead than normal.Make your turns ,stops and acceleration a lot less aggressive than when dry.Riding in the rain is pretty much inevitable if you ride much.Increase the distance between you and the car you are following and be a lot more careful around intersections. They are especially slick as are crosswalks and highway stripes and I don't know if you have tar snakes in your neck of the woods but they are another potential hazard. Don'r ride in the middle of the lane unless it is absolutely necessary. That's where most of the oil and fuel leaks are on cars and trucks.

I'm sure I left something out but someone else will be along shortly and chime in,

·
Registered
331 Posts
Denny - good job, Massa!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It is okay for your bike to get wet. Unless there have been some kind of crazy mods done to it, all of the electronics and parts that shouldn't get wet are sealed and/or hidden and protected from water...unless you're trying to ride through rivers. The only thing I can think of that may happen is if you have pod filters (from an ear shave) and they get too wet, but as tucked in as they are it would be hard to get much water to them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Thanks guys! I thought it would be okay, just wanted to make sure!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I used to love the rain...used to dance in it in summer during a t-storm...

Around 1976, I left the Adirondacks on a small Suzuki dirt bike that a buddy loaned to me...was snowin heavy when I left...by time I got to Lake George, was a sleet...by Albany was a rain, all the way to Newburgh....was cold, I was wet, but I didnt care....I had a "destination"....my future wife and mom to my kids....by the time I hit Bear Mountain, sun came out....by time I got home I was dry...Just parked the bike, laid down on the couch and slept till the next day....7.5 hrs total...bike was shot...needed a top end job....thanks Stew for letting me use it, I owe ya....
Kids I dont regret, the wife I do...I shouldda stayed in the North Country that weekend...I blame Suzuki for ruining my life.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I get stuck in the rain more often than I like. Does anybody know a good way to minimize the rain drops on my facesheild?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I get stuck in the rain more often than I like. Does anybody know a good way to minimize the rain drops on my facesheild?
one of my pairs of gloves has a rubber squeegee built into the left thumb to wipe the face shield like a windshield wiper blade. I'll have to see if I can find out who made the gloves.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Ever try RainX ?

:smiley_th

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a squeegee thing that fits over the thumb, but mine was bought separately from the gloves. I haven't actually tried it yet. I didn't think it would rain so I didn't wear it when I needed to....

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have a squeegee thing that fits over the thumb, but mine was bought separately from the gloves. I haven't actually tried it yet. I didn't think it would rain so I didn't wear it when I needed to....
I have one of those too,keep it on the bike some where they actually work pretty good. Once you get that velcro thing figured out :smiley_th

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a good idea to just keep it on the bike, that way you can't forget it... :p

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
go fast!!!...turn your head to the left...then the right. the wind will push the water off.

Works for me...lol

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Does anybody know a good way to minimize the rain drops on my facesheild?
Dont wear a faceshield and squint...sortta serious, lol....
I wear vintage aviator style goggles, and the lenses are facetted in such a way that oncoming air pushed water to each side. Them my beard catches it...

·
Registered
856 Posts

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Mmm, don't ride in the rain? ;)

Luck favors the prepared. If you think about it before the ride, pack it! If you live on the sun and think before a ride, "should I bring my rain gear?" PACK IT!

The gloves I have are the Olympia Windtex x. I use the things year round riding or not, these things are quite warm. The squeegee on mine is starting to fall apart however :-/

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/903/691/ITEM/Olympia-Sports-4350-All-Season-I-Gloves.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Olympia Wind-tex&WT.MC_ID=10010
Do they bend though? They don't look very flexible...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Originally Posted by Ndr
The gloves I have are the Olympia Windtex x. I use the things year round riding or not, these things are quite warm. The squeegee on mine is starting to fall apart however :-/

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/903/691/ITEM/Olympia-Sports-4350-All-Season-I-Gloves.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Olympia Wind-tex&WT.MC_ID=10010
Do they bend though? They don't look very flexible...
Yeah, Mine are quite flexible, but I've had them for several years now, so they are well worn in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts