Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to look at my "new" '95 Vulcan to purchase back few weeks ago,guy had it nice/safe in garage...clean and shiny!!Got it home put it up in my shop,nice and dry.Decided to ride to work today...sunny just a few clouds.2+ hours later,rain,rain...dammitt!!Seems like rain makes those little dry "puddles" on that nice shiny chrome...they turn into tiny rust pits,then rust.So what do you guys do?

·
Registered
456 Posts
For the shiny bits
Blue Magic Metal Polish it work miracles,, and leaves a protective film on that fends off small amounts of water...

Went to look at my "new" '95 Vulcan to purchase back few weeks ago,guy had it nice/safe in garage...clean and shiny!!Got it home put it up in my shop,nice and dry.Decided to ride to work today...sunny just a few clouds.2+ hours later,rain,rain...dammitt!!Seems like rain makes those little dry "puddles" on that nice shiny chrome...they turn into tiny rust pits,then rust.So what do you guys do?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Mothers chrome polish. For the most part, after rain, you can just wipe. However, you have to continually shine that stuff and your neighbors and wife/girlfriend/partner will think you are obsessed. HOWEVER, you are NOT obsessed, you just want your little buddy baby to shine like diamond for the world! I love you baby! Shine for meeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats awsome,thanks guys!!:notworthyI was kinda wondering how the heck do ya wax/polish that nice shiny exhaust chrome...remember HOT!!Think that "wax" will burn off,like a sizzlin candle!!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I use Mothers polish, but only after storage in the off season or if I was caught in the rain and splattered with oil and road grime.
I simply use a soft cotton cloth to wipe everything chomed and painted off most of the time.

Polishing and cleaning (or detailing) your bike is nothing to fear or be ashamed of despite what some of the other members tell you. Many just ride it and don't worry about how it looks which is fine.

For me polishing and cleaning is more than just cosmetics....whille you are in there cleaning you should be doing visual inspections on EVERYTHING. Paying attention to drips, wear/rub marks, wire chaffing, and generally making sure everything is secure and tight.

Doing this is more of a safety pre-flight check than it is about looking good. Frankly, riding a bike is inherently dangerous, so you would think every rider would want to do a good inspection occasionally to ensure his bike will not be his own undoing.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
I will once a month wash the bike , I use zymol wax on everything my bike is my daily transportation until they salt the roads ( 15-20k miles a year on the bike ) I still have to get my car out of summer storage in the next few months lol

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
We all love shiny bikes but while riding you cant see the bike shine so instead of sweating the shiny parts just wash it occasionally and ride the damn thing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Personally, I just love seeing and the feel of a clean, shiny bike, despite if I am the only one to see it or if someone else does too. I use the Mother's Metal Polish on my aluminum, and Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on my chrome since it is also rust resistant. I buff and wax my paint too with Turtle Wax. I just love a shiny bike. The good squeaky clean feel.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Personally, I just love seeing and the feel of a clean, shiny bike, despite if I am the only one to see it or if someone else does too. I use the Mother's Metal Polish on my aluminum, and Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on my chrome since it is also rust resistant. I buff and wax my paint too with Turtle Wax. I just love a shiny bike. The good squeaky clean feel.
:smiley_th

......That's MC owner's pride !

:smiley_th

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very much so Owner's Pride. I love my motorcycle, and I want it to love me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try living in denmark,here it rains about 200 days a year and about 50 days of storms 50 days with snow and last 50 days its beautiful sunny bike riding weather.
To pull the bike out under the sun is like pulling the barbecue out in the sun,both things are like begging for instant rain :)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
VERY WET.;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts