Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am at work right now. when i left home there wasn't but a few clouds in the sky. since an hr after i got here is been pouring. Sadly i am gonna have to ride home in my vulcan jacket, jeans and a pair of waterproof boots :p. JOY!

What brand of rain gear isnt gonna cost me an arm and a leg and gives great performance. (looking <$150 with s&h). which ones leak, how bad, where do they seem to leak and what bout the seat, does it soak through like an old school fabric pup tent would?

do one peices give any advantages over a 2 peice?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Frogg Toggs! http://www.froggtoggs.com/home.asp The best out there (well, in my opinion!).

The Angler Model has bib pants that cover your chest and back. I've had no leakage with mine so far. And they can be donned on the side of the road or under a bridge with out removing boots.

I have great weather protection on my Concours and haven't ridden my wife's Vulcan in the rain. However these are very light (for summer) and breathable. And will fit over heavier gear. They don't seem to ballon up or flap a whole lot either.

Look for an online dealer on their site and then check for the lowest price.

Hope that helps! :beerchug:

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Next up after Frogg Toggs would be Dry Rider. I like the Frogg Toggs more since they are very light-weight and breathable. Dry Riders aren't as breathable ann have a bit of PVC type material but still very good with the venting. I have a set of each
Dry Riders are on close-out at Motorcycle Accessories Warehouse for 22.95
http://www.accwhse.com/dryrider.htm

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i cant tell the sizes on the dryriders

sorry but i cant make heads or tails of the sizes, i wear jean size 32w-36l so i need to make sure they are long enough can ya help me out Dianna?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hizzo3 said:
sorry but i cant make heads or tails of the sizes, i wear jean size 32w-36l so i need to make sure they are long enough can ya help me out Dianna?
Smart move! Ask the Females for help on clothes..... ;)

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
rain gear

I always carry a packable set of wet weather gear in my bags. Go to any fly fishing store or web site and view what they have. The packable sets will keep you dry if you are not riding all day in the rain. I especialy like the ones with there own compression bag--makes them smaller and easier to stuff. In Wy. we seldom have long rains usually just a downpour for 5-15 minutes and moving through.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
*LOL* Yeah we know clothes stuff (as well as bike stuff!)
In this case the Dry Rider suit is Dry Rider DR9121 2 Piece Rainsuit
Sizing for DR9121 is as follows
DR9121 Jacket SM MD LG XL
=========== == == == ==
CHEST 49 52 54 60
SWEEP 49 52 54 60
SLEEVE 35 36 37 38
JACKET LENGTH 28 28 28 28

DR9121 PANTS
WAIST 22-44 22-46 28-50 30-52
INSEAM 32 33 34 35

So.. Looks like an XL

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Dianna. hey i've learned women know best when comes to clothes. i wonder if i can make an effective compression pack. i use a jansport backpack when i ride and it has straps under it for rain gear... to JOANN's fabric i go when i get my gear.

I live in texas, and when it rains, it rains. so far we've recieved like 1.5 inches since my ride home yesterday. and it still hasnt stopped yet. the roads were coated with rain. i had less trouble though with hydroplaning on my bike than with me jeep. lol go figure must be that smaller contact patch.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
humm....

as i started looking at rain gear i noticed some of the jackets also are "waterproof" or have "waterproof liners" any one wanna give an opinion on these compaired to rain gear. i figure if those are really waterproof, then no need to lug around rain gear, i'll already be wearing it :p

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
decided to update this one... I went with the AX-1. I love it. its well built, and havent had a leak yet (stator kept me down for the third week now). i bought these back in march and have done well. I ride daily so had a few chances to test them out. They do get rather warm when there is no rain, so i ride just the pants on "probable" days, with jacket rolled in my back pack.
I will try and get some pics of them rolled up so you can get an idea of size. I am gonna try and get my girlfriend to make a compression pack for me after i expain how and what they do. I figure i could get them to fit both in less then a shoe box.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket mesh riding jacket with the waterproof liner, and have worn it in the rain. The liner definitely helps, in that it takes longer to get wet, but it is not nearly as good as the AX-1 rain gear, which really IS waterproof. It's like wearing leather chaps in the rain...they shed water for a time, but sooner or later they get saturated and make for some very uncomfortable riding. Having tried both, I go with the armored jacket for safety and the Nelson-Rigg AX-1 rain gear for staying dry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts