Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been following the guide here, along with other threads:

Basically:
1. I can hook up the fan directly to the battery and get a strong pull from the fan. Seems to be no issues with the fan
2. I have swapped out thermostatic fan switches (bottom of radiator), which did not resolve anything
3. I have tried grounding the fan switch wire (from harness) directly to ground, which did nothing
4. I have touched the BK/Y cable from the harness (leading back to the relay) to ground and hear a clicking
5. I have looked at the wiring diagram and traced back all cables to where they are supposed to go, and all have continuity

I'm not sure where to go from here. I bought a small toggle switch because I just want to be done with it and be able to manually control the fan, but not sure where to plug fan into for a lead?

Any help with either troubleshooting, or just hot to wire up a toggle switch would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
The fan gets power from a blue wire on one of the junction box plugs (check wiring diagram). When my fan quit working, the spade connector on that wire was loose fitting. Quick squeeze with a pair of pliers fixed it.

Sounds like the temp switch and relay are working (the click), it's just not getting power out of the JB.

You could ground the temp switch, then jiggle the blue wire at the JB plug. If the fan runs, tighten the spade. One blue wire is for the headlight, the other one is for the fan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh, I feel like an idiot. After printing out the diagram and just checking for continuity on the voltmeter, I found that I had the fan switch and the fan ground mixed up, along with the blue wire. Somehow everything else on the bike seemed to work EXCEPT for the radiator fan. I rewired everything, tried grounding what is now the CORRECT fan switch and voila, fan spins right up!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts