Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the Water pump impeller. No change still run hot after 30 miles. Okay I live in Texas heat is a given. Radiator cap is new 13 pound non kawasaki. How easy does water flow through a clean radiator VN750?
Has anybody tried to take the radiator off , fill with CLR? Did it break loose the rust? Enough questions Thank you for listening.
Ed
86 VN750
"Leonidas"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response. Good train of thought. Yes I have when I first bought the bike in Nov. 05 it had no thermostat. It now has a new factory thermostat. No change was observed which eventually led to the water impeller replacement. Water impeller replacement is not a fun thing.

Repsectful Regards
Ed
86 VN750
"Leonidas"

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar prob. Ran really hot and you could hear water bubbling. I flushed 4-5 times, new Kaw t-stat, new non Kaw cap, new hoses, everything. Pressure checked the radiator too. This was in the winter also 30 degrees or so. I told a aquaintance about it when he was mounting a tire and he said it was the cap. I argued I had a new one and he said has to be Kaw. Anyway he gave me a new Kaw cap for free to shut me up and my problem went away and has never been back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Was it overheating when you first got it? If there was no thermostat in it then, it sounds as if the previous owner also had a problem!? Are you losing water? Any oil or "mayonnaise" in the coolant or around the filler cap? Maybe a leak in the system somewhere which would cause overheating, or a blown head gasket - although I would think that that would effect the running, rough idling and or water coming out of one of the exhausts.

Rich

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More good thoughts. Well I am ordering some parts at end of this week might as well order a new Kaw radiator cap. I hope you are right. Yes you are right it was overheating , but I thought it was the absence of the thermostat, or a bad radiator cap. About the blown head gasket no symptoms of that sort have shown up at this time. When I had the right side engine cover off for the impeller change no signs of any oil or water where it should not be. Advisory I was replacing the right engine cover gasket which leaked after the impeller change and spun one of the 15 or 16 6 mm bolts. Yes I was using my torque wrench at 9.8nm. I bought the helicoil for it today and I will take it down this weekend and install the helicoil. I have both the Clymers and the factory Kawasaki manuals for the bike. This is a great design for a motorcycle, I just must have bought one very badly treated example.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts