Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which tires are better for our bikes, radial or bias? also what brand. a lot on here like the metzlers, what about michelin commanders or avon? thanks

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
I've had Dunlops and Metzelers, and the Metz's provided a much improved ride and handling, IMO.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, any preference on radial/bias?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure what type they are, but I'm really happy with the Dunlop 491 Elite II's, front & rear.
They've lasted quite awhile (haven't paid attention to the actual mileage, but my buddy on his Nighthawk has gone thru a couple rear tires to my one)

As far as bias or radial, I believe bias provides better handling.
(someone correct me if that's not right)

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The Elite IIs are bias. I have one on the rear of my bike and I hope to replace it with another one when the time comes. I like this tire.
In answer to the first question, there is still a lot of debate about the radial or bias tires and which is best. For our purposes, I don't think the added cost of radials is really warranted as our application of the tire is different than that of a car.
As for brand, I have heard that Metzler, Dunlop (my fave), Avon, and Michelin are all good. That's not to say that the rest are bad, just that these are the brands I have heard or read the most about. I really think tires are like the choice of oil. Find a brand that works for you. You really can't go wrong with the main brands of tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again, thanks to all, i am learning about my bike (and my girlfriends) each time i ask a question on this site, and the verses are great. still debating on the GB removal?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Once again, thanks to all, i am learning about my bike (and my girlfriends) each time i ask a question on this site, and the verses are great. still debating on the GB removal?

what for? keep in mind u lose power by doing so...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I vote for the bias too. I have Dunlop D404's and like them.

Was in the HD stealership the other day, EVERY new bike in there had a private label D404 on it. I know it's a Harley, but still, they sure have confidence in the D404's.

Jon

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
And mark up the price accordingly for branded Dunlops. Just cause they say Harley on them. One more reason to dislike them.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
And mark up the price accordingly for branded Dunlops. Just cause they say Harley on them. One more reason to dislike them.
Hmm, maybe I should get my white paint pen and brand my Dunlops with "Kawasaki Vulcan 750".
But then again, they're already RWL (raised white letter) so it might end up being a little crowded !! Maybe just "Vulcan". :motorcycl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts