Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The r/r was replaced on my vn almost a year ago. when i checked my bike the other day for voltage it was 12.9 at idle and went to almost 16 at 4k rpm. i have not relocated the r/r so it is still in the oven the stator was replaced at the same time.
now what prompted the check was i was riding home the other night and the lights started acting funny typical rlu stuff so i cleaned all connections in hi/lo switch ect. ect. so i guess my question is would anyone know would a fualty rlu cuase a bad voltage reading? or am i looking at replacing my r/r again.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
PM sent.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
The RLU isn't going to cause High Voltage readings at 4000 rpm... and 12.9 at idle is a little low... I would say its the R/R not working right.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
12.9v is fine @ idle but as Slim said 16.0 is a problem, the lights are acting funny because of an over volt. It can burn out all your lamps. If your R/R was not a factory unit then there is your problem. All aftermarket R/R's are from China, not Japan.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Before buying a new r/r, measure the voltage between the white and black/yellow wires at the r/r. If it is too high there too, then buy a new one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so if aftermarket r/r's are from china where do i find the one i need?

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
i saw your post on making one but how do you put it all together after you get the parts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Get the parts then send me a PM, and I will talk you through it... It is fairly easy to talk your through the steps, a lot harder to draw a diagram that would make it plug and play. When getting the parts, make sure to get a R/R connector from HERE, and get the stock Ford VR connector at the parts store... it will make wiring this up a direct plug and play and very simple.
I will go back to my other post and put together the parts list for an easy reference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts