Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a simple question. Is the R/R relocation recommended for all years VN750s? or just some specific years or older bikes?

I don't know if something changed in the design of the R/R itself over the years.

Thanks

jeff

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Just a simple question. Is the R/R relocation recommended for all years VN750s? or just some specific years or older bikes?

I don't know if something changed in the design of the R/R itself over the years.

Thanks

jeff
As I understand it, ALL Rectifier/Relay on 750's benefit.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
As I understand it, ALL Rectifier/Relay on 750's benefit.
That's Rectifier/Regulator.......
Upgrading to MOSFET would be better. Moving it provides for better cooling, and that's a good thing. But I'm not convinced it really makes a big difference.
Get an AGM battery and MOSFET R/R......you'll be way ahead of the game.
Fixing the problem is better than a band-aid, IMHO........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Simple fix

:loser1:The duece came up with the simplest mount I have seen. Take a 3/4in mineralac electric conduit strap and use the bolt through one of the R/R holes. Place it just above the side cover on the frame. Touch it all up with a rattle can and it looks decent. Mount with plug down and tape it to keep out grime.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On my bike (2005), early on I upgraded the battery which helped a bit with starting when the R/R gets hot. A recent de-goat made a big improvement in keeping the R/R cool, and making it start on the first try virtually every time.

Upgrade to better parts as you can afford, but taking steps to keep the R/R cool will help improve performance and increase it's life in the short term.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's Rectifier/Regulator.......
Upgrading to MOSFET would be better. Moving it provides for better cooling, and that's a good thing. But I'm not convinced it really makes a big difference.
Get an AGM battery and MOSFET R/R......you'll be way ahead of the game.
Fixing the problem is better than a band-aid, IMHO........
If upgrading to a MOSFET R/R - is it still recommended to relocate?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ive seen it said on here that the Mosfet R/R by design is a cooler running R/R then the OEM part. When I put a Mosfet on my bike I did not relocate it. If you go that route the Mosfet bolts right up where the OEM R/R is. Here is a link of how I did my Mosfet incase your interested. Also not to step on anyones toes, the R/R has nothing to do with the bike starting. A good Battery, ignition, and spark plugs is a great help.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18361&highlight=my+mosfet

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Ive seen it said on here that the Mosfet R/R by design is a cooler running R/R then the OEM part. When I put a Mosfet on my bike I did not relocate it. If you go that route the Mosfet bolts right up where the OEM R/R is. Here is a link of how I did my Mosfet incase your interested. Also not to step on anyones toes, the R/R has nothing to do with the bike starting. A good Battery, ignition, and spark plugs is a great help.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18361&highlight=my+mosfet
X2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is no real proof that the reg/rec life is increased by relocating it from the goat belly`s oven out into the wind, but *it can`t hurt*, so many of us have performed the simple mod to do it.

KnifeMaker has stated that he ran his *purchased new* vn750 for several years w/o relocating the r/r with no problems.

My 20 year old bike`s r/r would probably still be in the *oven* too, but Ron/lance 328 sent me one of his relocation brackets a couple of years ago as an incentive to me to get healed up and out riding again. :smiley_th

After reading Ifixf18s (and a few other folks) experience with the Shindigen/mosfet r/r, that is what I will install if my OEM r/r ever gives up the ghost on me. From what I have read, I would not be concerned about mounting it in the original r/r location above the GB. It seems the mosfet unit only ever gets warm, never really hot while in use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts