Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did mine a bit different than most, mounted it right behind the side cover. I think it still gets plenty of air flow and the gap between the r/r and box should be plenty enough the heat shouldn't effect anything.

Attachments

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
that should work. the idea is to get it away from the heat of the goat's belly

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: Monnerjr

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Does anyone just happen to know how much heat the goats belly gives off in degrees? People tend to relocate their RR (and I am also thinking about doing that sometime later on) but has anyone tried to run some ducting perhaps from a cooler air source to the stock-positioned RR instead? I haven't thought about that possibility until sitting right here typing this so I'm not sure how you'd even do it, but cooler air is cooler air. A few years back I had thought about maybe drilling some holes in the side cover forward-facing part so as to possibly get some more airflow but I didn't think of actually ducting air in. Nice pics Monnerjr. Good job.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Same here, works fine. Mine is cool to the touch usually.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
The goats belly does get pretty hot. Don't have a running Vulcan to get an actual reading, but I'll bet you can boil water on it, so that's at least 212F.

I did think about making an insulated heat shield to put between it and the R/R, and cutting vents in the side covers to channel more air towards it.
Really just seemed easier to move it out board like many have done, or move it behind the side cover like tanner.

I've posted before that there's no real proof moving the R/R does anything, it's just something that "sounds like a good idea". I never moved mine, and never had any problems.....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
it'll melt plastic

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Long as it stays below a certain temp you're good. Personally I think the brain of the bike gets too much heat already so I wouldn't want anything else that close to it and some RR's get toasty. The best mod is to dump that goat and let her breathe. :)

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
I did mine similar in the way that it is in left side cover. However where mine differs is that I didn’t use any mounting brackets. I just glued the r/r to the fuse box cover. I can still access the fuses since it’s just glued to the cover.

Does the r/r’s body need to be grounded, because I’ve been running like that for a while and I was wondering if it needs to be.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I did mine similar in the way that it is in left side cover. However where mine differs is that I didn’t use any mounting brackets. I just glued the r/r to the fuse box cover. I can still access the fuses since it’s just glued to the cover.

Does the r/r’s body need to be grounded, because I’ve been running like that for a while and I was wondering if it needs to be.
I've always been told to ground the r/rs on the frame. That being said, i'd be worried about the glue failing due to the temperatures and vibration, but some glue/epoxy is pretty amazing.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
I've always been told to ground the r/rs on the frame. That being said, i'd be worried about the glue failing due to the temperatures and vibration, but some glue/epoxy is pretty amazing.
I used gorilla epoxy glue. I've been riding with the r/r glued and frame not grounded for a couple of months now. Doesn't seem like it's melting.
I don't know how hot the r/r gets though.

I know some r/r is grounded through the frame, but isn't one of the connecting wires the ground wire for our r/r.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts