Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took some sheet aluminum and fabricated a bracket for my R/R and my voltmeter. Mounted the R/R in the usual spot and the volt meter between the gauges. I spliced into the wires going to the headlight dimmer switch. The top connector under the tank, blue/yellow is positive, and the black/yellow is ground.

I have not finished putting the bike together after the stator replacement yet so I have not checked my voltages at this connection. They are heavier gauge and right off the main harness so the voltage drop shouldn't be too bad. It's after the ignition switch relay, and not affected by the dimmer switch itself.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah I forgot those!!! Here.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
You may find the voltage drop significant there. I installed the single LED voltmeter and tapped the wire from the front running lights and the voltage drop is pretty bad - don't remember the numbers now. Before I got around to rewiring it through an ignition-controlled relay off of the battery, I got used to seeing the artificially reduced reading. By experimentation, I found that the voltage at this location pretty closely tracks the charging condition of the battery. Because of the charging deficit when idling, the battery discharges and the voltage drops. After rpms increase, charging eventually restores battery voltage and the volt meter turns green again. I kind of like the meter showing me that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts