Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of rebuilding an ’86 VN750, and I’m currently looking at relocating the R/R. I’m replacing the stator and regulator/rectifier, but I’ve noticed that one of the poles in the 6 pole connector to the R/R is pretty burnt, and will need to be replaced. It’s the connector with the white wire running from it. The wire insulation hasn’t melted, but it’s a bit charred looking.
Can anyone shed any light on why only the white wire has gotten hot enough to blacken the insulation, and should I be concerned about wiring damage elsewhere that has been caused by this?:confused: I’ve looked at the other connectors, (junction box, ignitor box etc...), and they all seem to be in good shape.

Also, has anyone had any issues with excessive heat on the passenger’s leg from relocating the R/R next to the left hand passenger footpeg? I’m considering relocating it to under the rear guard. The plastic cover, behind the battery box, that attaches the rear fender to the frame looks like a convenient and tidy place to mount the R/R. I’m thinking that it should get sufficient airflow around it in this position, (my ’05 Z750 has the R/R mounted in the same place), and will be fairly tucked away out of sight. Has anyone else tried this?

Cheers. :beerchug:

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i dont think anyone has tried in that location before. As far as your wire issue goes. it got hot because the wires that run the bike are a tad below what should have been used, and corrosion is like a resistor burning juice as heat. What i would do if i were you is solder your connections and seal it. while your in there, i would also do a dielectric grease application on all connections.

What stator are you going to be using?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip Hizzo3.
Putting dielectric grease on all the connectors is now on the 'to do' list.

I'm actually just getting my stator rewound, not replacing it with a new one. The Kawasaki mechanic recommended it as an easier and cheaper option, and the stator didn't look too bad anyway.

It's probably worth me mentioning with regards to the R/R reposition, that I plan to install aftermarket mufflers on the bike too, so there'll be no goat's belly to genereate excess heat for the electrics.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
One of our other members here repositioned his R/R behind the right cover as well. The pics are in the gallery.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Just make sure that wherever you put it, it gets lots of air flow. With mine on the side, it still gets "untouchable" when I ride it in 90 degree heat.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Ozkaw, you need a teeth brush...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I think it was KnifeMaker who had a pic of the optimum placement point for the R/R.
It was on a pole (No, not a poll or pool !) behind the seat, about 3 feet above the highest part of the backrest.
And, just to avoid confusion, it was as a joke ! (but it would get great air flow there !!!)

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
well later on i plan to rewire the whole r/r, and plan to move it to the top of the radiator and run the wires under the tank. simmilar placement as the old triump's zener diode. just instead of on the forks (think the turning will add to a broken wire) and just put it on the top of the radiator shroud.

·
Registered
699 Posts
good place for it, I was looking at the 2000's and they are mounted in front below the radiator

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Kanclerz was the one who put his under the right side plastic cover.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New R/R position

Well I relocated my R/R today to inside the rear guard. As you see from the pics, the old connector was looking, well…old, and had a scorched area around one of the pins, so I soldered and sealed the new pins and replaced the connector along with the R/R.

Relocating it was a breeze. I just drilled some mounting holes in the plastic guard, and notched out a section for the wiring to feed through. I also added a couple of spacers behind the R/R, (see pic), to keep it away from contact with the plastic.
I’m really pleased with the end result.:D

Attachments

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Hmm. I expected the pictures to come through upside-down.

But seriously, looks good. You might want to coat the connector in grease. I imagine you'll eventually have to drive through water, so use anything you can to keep the water out of the connections. When you get your bike back together, I'd like to know how hot it gets (or doesn't get).

·
Registered
699 Posts
looks good, good point about the water cegodsey I was wondering how hot it will get there myself. or maybe it will be cooled by the tire rotation

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cegodsey said:
Hmm. I expected the pictures to come through upside-down.

But seriously, looks good. You might want to coat the connector in grease. I imagine you'll eventually have to drive through water, so use anything you can to keep the water out of the connections. When you get your bike back together, I'd like to know how hot it gets (or doesn't get).
Ah, the reason that you’re seeing the pictures the right way up is because when I posted them, I turned my computer upside down. ;)

I greased the connection before I hooked it up, but I’ll be keeping a close eye on it for any signs of moisture. Would wrapping electrical tape up over the actual connector and the joint to the R/R be advisable? I’ve also gone over all the other connectors I could find on the bike, cleaned them with contact cleaner and greased them all too, just to be sure.

I’m guessing air movement around the rotating tyre, combined with greater exposure to cooler air, should be sufficient to keep its temperature down. It has to be a cooler spot than the stock mounting position I reckon.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I wouldn't trust electrical tape. It has the tendency to lose its stickyness when it gets warm or hot. But then, that could just be my experience with cheap tape. Maybe coating the area with silicone? Maybe just greasing it is OK.

By the way, what time is it there?

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
OzKaw said:
Well I relocated my R/R today to inside the rear guard. As you see from the pics, the old connector was looking, well…old, and had a scorched area around one of the pins, so I soldered and sealed the new pins and replaced the connector along with the R/R.

Relocating it was a breeze. I just drilled some mounting holes in the plastic guard, and notched out a section for the wiring to feed through. I also added a couple of spacers behind the R/R, (see pic), to keep it away from contact with the plastic.
I’m really pleased with the end result.:D
Run a ground wire to it "just in case". The regulator is grounded through the ground wire in the harness, but also has contact with the frame of the bike in it's original mount. While there is no "official" recommendation to ground the body of the RR, I would recommend that if you are going to mount it to a piece of plastic, you run a ground wire to the mount of the RR to keep the RR's body grounded with the bike. Just a precaution...

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
OzKaw said:
Ah, the reason that you’re seeing the pictures the right way up is because when I posted them, I turned my computer upside down. ;)

I greased the connection before I hooked it up, but I’ll be keeping a close eye on it for any signs of moisture. Would wrapping electrical tape up over the actual connector and the joint to the R/R be advisable? I’ve also gone over all the other connectors I could find on the bike, cleaned them with contact cleaner and greased them all too, just to be sure.

I’m guessing air movement around the rotating tyre, combined with greater exposure to cooler air, should be sufficient to keep its temperature down. It has to be a cooler spot than the stock mounting position I reckon.
i would just create a pig tail... scrap the connector, then solder the wire to the spades. then fill the female plug on the R/R with an epoxy, or an electrical resistant silicone (liquid electrical tape) This will prevent moisture and water damage as grease is only good for mild amounts of moisture, not waterproofing. also i would then put shrink wrap over the wire bundle, then use a teflon spiral wire organizer around the wires to keep the wires protected from flying rocks and so on from the tire.... better safe then sorry, cause in a location like that (which is a great idea due to airflow from the moving tire and the use of the fender as an additional heat sink) but a short would be bad...

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Here's a funny thought. The first time the regulator gets really hot, will it melt the plastic fender? ???

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cegodsey said:
Here's a funny thought. The first time the regulator gets really hot, will it melt the plastic fender? ???
I thought about the possibility of the plastic melting from the heat emitted from the R/R, but I think that it’s pretty unlikely. I added the spacers behind it just in case, but the plastic that part of the fender is made from is pretty thick and takes quite a while to get soft enough to start to melt, even with a naked flame, so it should be o.k.
I might make a small stainless heat shield to mount to the fender just in case.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I’ll be adding an extra earth wire and some wire protection to the set-up, and I’ll be looking into some extra waterproofing for the connection.

Cheers,
OK.
(and by the way cegodsey, the time here now is 8.05pm)

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
8:05 Monday night? Or Sunday night? When you posted, it was Monday at 5 AM Central time. Right now it is 4:23 PM Monday Central Time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts