Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! As I posted a few days ago, I had trouble with my carbs. Took 'em off and worked on them and they were finally good to go, but when I put them in, the following happened:

Turned the key to ON, everything powered up as it should, pressed the start button and it acted like the starter was stuck. This happened before and it was a short in the wiring.

Tried it again and once more and it fired up finally. After having it idle a little while I turned it off to see if it would start back up and it did. Did it once more to be sure and then I left it idling a little while to check if the RPMs wouldn't go down as they did before.

RPMs were steady and it revved up great.

After a little while though I started seeing smoke coming out from the left panel, where the fuses go. I shut the bike off immediately and then took off the panel.

Smoke was from the cables that go to the regulator. The regulator itself was quite hot and the cables had melted.

So here's what I'd like to ask you. Is this common when a regulator goes out? Does this seem more like a short elsewhere on the wiring diagram that caused this behavior?

Trying to find out cause I don't want to plug in another R/R just to fry it too.

Also, I could search this up in the verses, but since you're already here... How do I know for sure if the regulator is fried or if it's still working right?

I definitely got my eye on the mosfet R/R now.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Mine went without smoking..... What wires melted? That may help diagnose the problem. You could check the pins of the R/R for a short to each other, and check the wires in the connector for shorts.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the thing is that... while I moved the regulator out from the goat's belly's heat, I was careless and the cables themselves were on the goat's belly.

I'm thinking MAYBE the goat's belly heated them until they melted and then there was a short between them.

Or maybe the short was originated for completely unrelated reasons... what I do know is that I hate electrical problems u_u

Especially since I don't have a multimeter! My friend is probably getting tired of me asking him to lend me his lol.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Oh, that's bad if your wires were resting on the goats belly. You can test the R&R with the instructions in the manual. If your lucky your R&R is still good & it just shorted out a wire which is an easy fix.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Do you know what wires were shorted? The yellow wires go to your stator if it was one of those I would do a continuity check of the stator.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure which wires got fried cause there was black tape on that part of the wires and it became one ball of gunk lol. I couldn't separate the wires from the melted tape, so I just cut them where there was no tape.

I'll be sure to check everything that has been suggested here. Probably Friday or Saturday though... my friend was kind enough to offer his Ninja 250 if I need it to go to work :) I might just borrow it even if I don't just to test it out and see what that type of bike feels like to me.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I swapped in another R/R and it heated up just like the old one.

What could make the R/R heat up?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I've heard they get hot enough to burn your hand when operating normally. But I haven't confirmed that myself. I prefer branding myself by working on the bike with the exhaust still hot!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the wires themselves are getting hot as well... I'm just not sure if they'll melt again if I keep the bike running like that.

They weren't melting hot yet, but I only ran it for a couple minutes.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If the wires are getting that hot, I agree something's not right.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I guess the only thing I can do right now is check grounds... if anyone has any ideas, they are very welcome!!

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Do you know what kind of voltage the system is putting out? I'v heard or read that over like 15-2 up is really bad, the r&r shorts all the excess power, there-for HEAT!!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Have you checked the stator for opens or shorts, you mentioned before it is bad, that could be the cause of whole problem your having. You need to recheck that stator (the 3 yellow wires). Do you know how to do it? If your stator is bad theres no sense in going forward untill its fixed.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't checked the stator but I noticed that the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator are getting very hot. I'll look up how to test the stator in the manual and see what I get.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I'm thinking MAYBE the goat's belly heated them until they melted and then there was a short between them.
but I noticed that the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator are getting very hot
Exact problem I had w/mine. My belly and rectifier/reg were all in orig loc, plus the former owner did a stator swap, and rerouted the 3 yellows too close to exhaust. They got fried and were shorting "just enough". I just cut the 3 yellows (bulk of their length that left some workable) and spliced in the next heavier gauge wire.
But I was getting intermittant smoke from under left cover too. So far, the splices solved it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts