Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy!

Just ordered a new R/R from RMStator and got it today.
At my biggest surprise it has only 5 pins (vs 6 pins from OEM kaw)!!!!
Has anyone seen this before? I tried to call the tech support but it's too late, i guess they are closing at 6PM.
Anyway, i hope they send me the wrong part so i can exchange it unless it's some new kind of R/R.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
which one did you buy?
i see they have 2 with similar part numbers...
*RMR260 for 75$ which looks like it says OEM replacement.
and RMR260 for 99$ which looks like it says better than OEM replacement

the heat sink in the pictures look a little different.

i'm thinking about doing the same thing.. just getting a new one and mounting it on the frame and was wondering where to buy one.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
howdy!

Just ordered a new R/R from RMStator and got it today.
At my biggest surprise it has only 5 pins (vs 6 pins from OEM kaw)!!!!
Has anyone seen this before? I tried to call the tech support but it's too late, i guess they are closing at 6PM.
Anyway, i hope they send me the wrong part so i can exchange it unless it's some new kind of R/R.

thanks in advance
They sent you the wrong one, suzuki and yamaha use the 5 pin and kaw uses a 6 pin. :beerchug:

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
The older VN750 configurations used the 6 wire RR. The new ones use the 5 wire. Three wires are for the AC current from the stator and one wire for positive and one for negative to the bike. The older configuration used the 6th wire for a sense wire but Kaw did away with that back around 1991 or so.

Hope this helps.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Electrum - i bought the one $75 RMR260

Lance - ???i can't believe that...:( i am glad you confirmed it though
Thanks!!!
That's why I will not buy a cheap Chineese R/R, RM Stator, Electrosport and others buy them in bulk for under $10.00 and sell them between 700% and 1200% markup.

A few years ago a company called Electrex was selling these Chineese stators and r/r's and they were failing as fast as they could replace them, they got such a bad reputation they had to change their name. You may have guessed by now the new name. Electrosport which is owned by RM Stator.

RM Stator is a Canadian based company that imports Chineese made parts and uses Electrosport as their main U.S. distributor. You can buy directly from RM stator but it is still Chineese made crap.

Your better off buying a new Kaw part or buy a used R/R off a vn1500, the vn1500 did not have the R/R issue since the R/R was placed on the side of the bike where it could be cooled.

Shindengen is the main Japaneese supplier of R/R's for Honda, Kawasaki, suzuki and Yamaha. The failure of our R/R's is not the part itself but the placement of the part.

Shindengen made three R/R's for the vn700/750: Sh555-12 85'-93' then was superceeded by the sh658-12 85'-03 which was superceeded by the sh650a-12 85'-06'. ALL three R/R's will work on ALL years but the sh650a-12 was the newest model and is the only one you can buy from Kawasaki.

The same three models were made for Yamaha with the same model number but in a 5 pin version.

Below is an example:

Kawasaki SH658-12 6 pin R/R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Regulator-Rectifier-Kawasaki-VN750-ZR750-OEM-NEW-333_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem3ef6bad41cQQitemZ270427411484QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Yamaha SH658-12 5 pin R/R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-OEM-YAMAHA-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-XJ600-SECA-II-97-98_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem19b49d7be0QQitemZ110404402144QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The older VN750 configurations used the 6 wire RR. The new ones use the 5 wire. Three wires are for the AC current from the stator and one wire for positive and one for negative to the bike. The older configuration used the 6th wire for a sense wire but Kaw did away with that back around 1991 or so.

Hope this helps.
Incorrect! I have replaced the R/R's on a 97' and and 02' as with the others I have repaired they ALL have a 6 pin R/R.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Incorrect! I have replaced the R/R's on a 97' and and 02' as with the others I have repaired they ALL have a 6 pin R/R.
They all have 6 pins but the harnesses only have 5 live wires. According to Kawasaki when I pressed this issue around 1998 or so when I had my first RR failure, they switched from the sense wire design to the 5-wire design due to issues that they had. My Electosport has 6 pins but one of them is dead. I wish I could provide the proof, but that was 3 or 4 computers back in time.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
They all have 6 pins but the harnesses only have 5 live wires. According to Kawasaki when I pressed this issue around 1998 or so when I had my first RR failure, they switched from the sense wire design to the 5-wire design due to issues that they had. My Electosport has 6 pins but one of them is dead. I wish I could provide the proof, but that was 3 or 4 computers back in time.
Still INCORECT!

All of the vn750's I have repaired have a 6 pin R/R and a 6 pin connector. I have not worked on an 04'-06', maybe it was changed then but from 85'-03' they have a 6 pin R/R, 6 pin connector w/6 wires.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Bulldog:

Too Bad you are Completely Wrong in your Knowledge of the wire colors and the 6-pin connection on the R/R's of the later model VN750's

Here is pictures of my R/R connector on my 2002 VN750..........

And as you can see it has 6 wires not 5...........

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now i am confused :(
how come on the (or any) repair manual, they mention 6 pins....if you also look closely to the different results on the table for R/R testing (from the repair manual as well), M is the pin i am missing, (M=monitor pin, not too sure what it's made for), the M pins cannot be dead, it has a purpose ...according to the results on the table.
I also confirmed that electro... is owned by RMstatorinc :(...so yes i really think it's less reliable than the OEM part from KAwa.
I will try to get refunded and will contact KAwa for a "true" OEM R/R...i am not to concern about the price, i just need it to work
Any thoughts?

ps: bullgod and lance ...i trust both you ya'll, it's just that I had so many bad experiences with 'imitation' OEM

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
now i am confused :(
how come on the (or any) repair manual, they mention 6 pins....if you also look closely to the different results on the table for R/R testing (from the repair manual as well), M is the pin i am missing, (M=monitor pin, not too sure what it's made for), the M pins cannot be dead, it has a purpose ...according to the results on the table.
I also confirmed that electro... is owned by RMstatorinc :(...so yes i really think it's less reliable than the OEM part from KAwa.
I will try to get refunded and will contact KAwa for a "true" OEM R/R...i am not to concern about the price, i just need it to work
Any thoughts?

ps: bullgod and lance ...i trust both you ya'll, it's just that I had so many bad experiences with 'imitation' OEM
The "M" pin does have a purpose or it would have been omitted by Kawasaki long ago. Flight, all I can tell you is I have NEVER posted any misleading or false information and I am not going to start now.

You have checked the info I have given and found out for yourself I have not given any false information. I am in NO WAY trying to say Bulldog "Evan Breyn" is in any way trying to give misinformation. Hell!! I was here under a different name when this group started before my computer crashed and had to start over again. Evan was always a good source of information.

Since he got the vn1500 he has not been here alot and has not stayed current on the vn750. I live and breathe these machines and rebuild and repair on a constant basis, I have no choice to stay current on what's what.

I damn sure am not going to get into a pissing contest with Evan, although it may seem like it, All I can say is everything I say to any member can be or is backed up by the facts.

To: Evan

Don't take anything persnal. Ron :beerchug:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey guys,

please don't take it personal, like i said earlier i trust both of you !

Anyway, just got off the phone with RMStator, and they are telling me that it's the newest (updated) model for the kind of R/R... this is hard to believe.
I told them i want my money back, so i filled out their return policy and we will see what they say!
Has anyone here ever bought items from RMSTATOR?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
woohoo!
today, i finally got the 'right' R/R back from RMStator with 6 pins!!! :)

Can someone tell me how to make sure it's a good R/R and that the whole charging system is working fine?

Thanks!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts