Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just recently purchased a 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750. The Motorcycle starts and runs and I can drive it but when I turn it off and come back later to start it, There isn't enough juice in the battery. I did a voltage check with the engine running and it was around 12.4 then when I rev the engine it will only go to 12.8 or so. I checked the R/R with the diode checker and it is confirmed bad. My problem is, The R/R I currently have doesn't have a wired hook up and instead the wire harness hooks up directly to the R/R. That being the case, the plastic wire connecter is also melted so I have no clue what to do. Do I have to get a whole new main wire harness or do I have to split it open and rewire the bad wires? I'm pretty sure I'm not explaining this correctly so I'll be posting pictures tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
If you get a MOSFET r/r you won't have to use the stock wiring or plug. The kits come with wiring, connectors, etc. Hooks direct to the stator and battery.

http://www.roadstercycle.com/index.htm ... Some kits about halfway down the page, the FH020AA r/r part number.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look into that, thanks.
I do have a concern, When I rev the engine, my voltage does go up, however only slightly. Would that be from the fried R/R or am I also looking at a bad Stator?

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Only way to know is to fully test the stator. Could be a good sign though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Test the output from the stator. Start with a ohms test of stator, then voltage output. If stator is good then test at battery. If R/R is bad I suggest going with a Series type, not a shunt type. Both are MOSFET, the series type limits the output of stator. Shunt types ground excess voltage, so the stator is producing full power and heat 100% of the time. Google it and see that HD, and most sport bikes have went to this mod to fix a weak and unreliable stator. Look up Compufire series regulators. Really is a fix for our stator.

·
Daily Commuter
5 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like a bad stator. As I left 4 of them behind in 1.5 years I know how it is.
It seem like your stator is grounding. Check to see if any of the yellow wires have continuity to the ground. They should have NOT have continuity to the ground.
Regarding the series R/Rs: After my last stator failure (4th) I decided to replace my R/R with a Compufire series type of R/R. So far so good. Since, I only have had 350 miles on it after the replacement I don't want to jump to the conclusion and make it public that this is the ultimate answer for our stator failures. If I don't have a stator failure for another year then I post my images and experience with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts