Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I just relocated my r/r using Bulldog's great mounting bracket. To save time, and make the job easier I decided to leave the old r/r where it was, and just buy another one. I got one off of ebay for only $60.00 that supposedly has a switch built-in so the stator stops charging the battery when it's full. So far this r/r seems to be working fine, I'm just curious if anyone here has any experience with it? Here's the link to the ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=120147602147

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I would sure like to know how they do that. Unless they are removing stator input somehow, the current has to go somewhere.

Jon

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also bought an R/R from RMSTATOR as well.

I also bought the bracket from Bulldog as well. Great quality and easy install!

I think mine is working...but it appears that I have a bad Stator now as well. It seemed like it was a compounded problem. So, once I pull and replace the stator I'll know for sure...

Les

Let me know how yours works out.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Their webpage says it instructs the stator to stop producing power. I'd like to konw how they accomplish that!!! Unless they can stop the rotor without killing the engine, the rotor/stator combination will always generate power. The magnets in the rotor are permanant and can't be switched off like an electromagnet so the current has to go somewhere. If they just open the R/R circuit, that would overload the stator and cause a stator failure since it would be attemping to overcome infinite resistance. If it dumps the current to ground, it then acts like a dead short again causing stator failure.
About the only thing I can think of is that they supply a separate resistance circuit to absorb the current but it doesn't go anywhere until the battery or some other electrical load is placed on the system.
If this R/R works out, I may consider it as a replacement as mine is on its last legs.
Has anyone tried their stators??? I was going to buy from Ricks but if theirs works well, the price is right. Both have a one year warranty so if the RMSTATOR stator is a good deal I may just purchase one of theirs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts