Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm fairly certain that my charging system issues are due to a failing rectifier, but I'm not exactly 100% it's not also the stator. I'd like to replace the R/R and see if that fixes the issue, but I dont wanna drop $145 on a mosfet and have it turn out to need a stator too. I don't really have a garage to work in and it would be a long shot replacing the stator. If it's the stator, the bike may need to go. So what R/R is decent that I can get a lot cheaper? I've seen the caltric but that seems to be crap according to this site. Is there a middle ground R/R? Or a place to get a decent used one?

Or, Does someone wanna help me replace a stator in Eastern PA? ;)

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Work through the testing procedures for each unit and you'll know if they need replaced. No parts cannon, no guessing.

Looks like you may have priced the Super kit, the Universal kit is about $20 cheaper.

Complete Mosfet Kit FH020AA DIY crimp or solder kit!
Home

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've worked through the TS process for both. There are no shorts or grounds in the stator. The R/R is def F'ed according to the readings I got using the Clymer manual. just nervous about dropping 100$ + and having it still not work correctly..

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
I've worked through the TS process for both. There are no shorts or grounds in the stator. The R/R is def F'ed according to the readings I got using the Clymer manual. just nervous about dropping 100$ + and having it still not work correctly..
Sounds like you have it diagnosed, except ... What is the ac volt output on each leg of the stator? hot and cold

It's best to do the other stator checks hot and cold also.

If the stator truly checks out ok, then you have it pinpointed at the r/r.

I did just see a new stock r/r on ebay, priced at $25, but the MOSFET is so much better, in most opinions.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
You can spend under $50 and be running a MOSFET, not sure where you get $140. I guess if you go to a website and buy a kit, but that guy is making like $50+ per set! No thanks!

Model / Output / Source Bike
FH001 / 35A / FJR 1300
FH008EB / 40A / BR 600 RR
FH010BA / 50A / ZX-10R
FH012AA / 50A / FJR 1300, R1
FH012BA / 50A / ZX-14R, ZR1400, GTR1400
FH014AA / 50A / CBR 1000 RR
FH016AA / 40A / ZX-6R

eBay one of those bad boys, and buy the wire kit. Even better, just buy the weatherpack connectors and make your own cables! Don't forget an in-line fuse on the positive cable, though. 30A.

Reactions: mikesutch

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
All those pieces add up, the maxi-fuse alone isn't exactly cheap, then you need a fuse holder too. (some kits offer circuit breaker or maxi fuse)

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
All those pieces add up, the maxi-fuse alone isn't exactly cheap, then you need a fuse holder too. (some kits offer circuit breaker or maxi fuse)
So let's recap.

$28.25 RR, shipped - 08 Yamaha Rhino Voltage Regulator Rectifier FH012AA | eBay

$20.93 - Connectors, shipped - http://www.cycleterminal.com/furukawa-qlw-250.html

$6.01 - 30A in-line fuse. http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Marine--line-Fuse-Holder/dp/B003ZZKAXY - If you're blowing this fuse, ever, you have a serious problem. It should never go.

$12.99 - 10g wire roll (if you dont already have it) - http://www.amazon.com/Grand-General-55261-10-Gauge-Primary/dp/B00INVF40E

Total: $68.18 on your doorstep. Half the cost. For somebody who was already lamenting the $145 pricetag of the roadster kit, this definitely seems like the way to go. If you have more money than time, the roadster kit is just fine.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
So let's recap.

$28.25 RR, shipped - 08 Yamaha Rhino Voltage Regulator Rectifier FH012AA | eBay

$20.93 - Connectors, shipped - Furukawa QLW 250

$6.01 - 30A in-line fuse. http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Marine--line-Fuse-Holder/dp/B003ZZKAXY - If you're blowing this fuse, ever, you have a serious problem. It should never go.

$12.99 - 10g wire roll (if you dont already have it) - Amazon.com: Grand General 55261 Red 10-Gauge Primary Wire: Automotive

Total: $68.18 on your doorstep. Half the cost. For somebody who was already lamenting the $145 pricetag of the roadster kit, this definitely seems like the way to go. If you have more money than time, the roadster kit is just fine.
I didn't go to all that trouble, but saw a maxi fuse and holder $18.01 and $8 when I posted earlier. If I dug around and waited long enough...

Forgot the 6 or 8ga (?) wire for the battery connections. Loop connectors, etc.

Do the connectors come with all the fittings? (were separate on the other link)

I really thought the OP was just wanting to confirm the diagnosis vs. shopping price.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Thought I had read the first two numbers on the r/r represented the amperage. If that's correct, the 20 has a higher capacity.

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You guys are correct. I found a $35 R/R on amazon and the wiring kit for $9. Makes me feel a bit better than buying the $123 version. I'm confident in my tests of the stator but didnt wanna drop a bunch of $ since the bike still needs forks rebuilt and the petcock rebuilt etc.. Plus all the stuff I want to do to it besides making it run right..

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
where in pa are you?

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I managed to find a nice middle of the road (no pun intended) regulator (Max Motosports) for $35 on amazon. All good reviews. Fingers crossed. Also got the wiring kit for $9.

Goofy, Im in Easton PA.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I managed to find a nice middle of the road (no pun intended) regulator (Max Motosports) for $35 on amazon. All good reviews. Fingers crossed. Also got the wiring kit for $9.

Goofy, Im in Easton PA.
I'll be honest, not a fan of cheap R/R/ brands like Max Motorsports. You would have been better off with the used unit I linked as the quality is way better with the OEM regulators.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
I don't think we are talking about MOSFETs anymore.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I don't think we are talking about MOSFETs anymore.
Actually a lot of the aftermarkets are making MOSFET style regulators, so it is possible the one he got is labeled MOSFET.

It is a Max Sports brand, which is some generic re-branded Chinese R/R. I linked to a used OEM mosfet, which I feel would be much better quality wise (as it's a proper shindengen)

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all the info

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my new r/r and wiring kit in the mail last night. Ran to home depot and got the stuff for a new frame mount. Planning to bypass the wiring harness and wire straight to the stator and battery like Thtanner did. just want to clarify the wiring. I see some people have an r/r with two connectors. three wires on each? My stock one and replacement have one connector. So the 3 yellow wires are the stator obviously which I can tie the headlight relay wire into any of them. Where do the other three go? Im assuming 2 are the battery pos and neg but which ones? Also Id imagine I want to install an inline fuse as well. Id put that in the positive right before the battery correct? Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the r/r wiring bypassing the harness? I'd really like to eliminate as much of the 1986 wiring as possible since I think there may be other bugs in the electrical other than just a bad r/r.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts