Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on changing my fork oil (used bike, totally unknown when it was last done) and dropping in Progressive springs at the same time. I read the write-up in the Verses and will have the guidance of an experienced mech as well. I got the springs and the fork oil, and just now thought to myself, hm, am I gonna need new fork seals too?

The seals look OK to me by eye, but is it recommended (or even required) to change the seals EVERY time I change the fork oil? I don't think so, right?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
As long as they're not leaking and your just changing the springs and oil you dont have to replace them. :smiley_th

After you raise the wheel off the ground remove the fork drains, it will make it easier to the top retaining clips since it it is no longer under pressure.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The seals look OK to me by eye, but is it recommended (or even required) to change the seals EVERY time I change the fork oil? I don't think so, right?
You only need to change the seals when they leak, but sometime you can not tell they are leaking just by looking at them.

Wipe the fork tubes off with a quick disapating cleaner like alcohol, contact cleaner or glass cleaner. Do not spray the forks directly, just dampen the towel, and wipe.

Wipe the dust seals off and clean the the tubes again, and make sure they are dry by wiping with a dry paper towel.

Get on the bike and holding the front brake, shove down as many times as you can before you get worn out compressing the forks as much as you can. A deliberate rocking motion works fine.

Take a strip of clean white paper, 2 inches wide + about 7 inches long (rice paper is best, but copy paper works) and wrap it around the fork tube right at the dust seal. If there is any leak, the paper will show an oil spot.

I would say if only one seal is bad, to replace both of them. But if no leaks, I would not replace them.

KM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts