Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm really fired up now, my stator could be here today or tomorrow. Tim says he's just been really busy with Spring riding season breaking loose.

Talked to him for a little bit about his work, and I'm really impressed, but also confident I'm getting the best stator available to us. Here's a few things I learned.

Tim's main business is rewinding stators, it's not a sideline, it's his chosen field. He's been doing this 25 years and has built his reputation by doing all he can to make people happy, short of jumping off the cliff with them. He does work with his customers if there's ever a problem, his first concern isn't 'where's the receipt', it's 'how can we fix this problem'. He is hands-on in his shop and does the majority of work himself.

This below is important to me and the main reason I made this post:

Tim told me, factory stators and some aftermarkets have a very uneven and very low number of windings. From 20-28 turns on the same stator. Tim said he gets 40-44 turns on our stators and makes them an equal number of turns between poles so all three legs are running equal.

The difference in the size and quality of wire he uses is huge, he said it's amazing what he sees inside the dead stators he gets. Some aftermarkets, whom I won't name, scrimp on most of the stators they build, and put a little extra into the ones that come back under warranty. He did tell me how he knew this, but I shouldn't say without his permission.

Most veterans here probably knew all this, but I thought it may be useful for anyone needing a new stator. I didn't know about the wide variation of wire turns on other stators or the very high number of turns Tim is getting on ours. I knew he improved the windings, but not how much. That's double what the factory gave us.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It's cool to know a bit more about someone who is so highly and so often recommended in this forum. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts