Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing my first bike... There is a guy down the road that has a 2000 Vulcan 750... has about 22k miles on it... He's asking $2000.. I stopped by and looked at the bike... everything looks straight and in working order... It has a slight oil leak and the forks seem to have a leak too... Not overly concerned about those things... What I am concerned about is the engine has a knock... He says he had it looked at and the shop said something about some worn springs?? Looking around at what this could potentially be and how I could better determine... any help would be appreciated...

-daniel

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing my first bike... There is a guy down the road that has a 2000 Vulcan 750... has about 22k miles on it... He's asking $2000.. I stopped by and looked at the bike... everything looks straight and in working order... It has a slight oil leak and the forks seem to have a leak too... Not overly concerned about those things... What I am concerned about is the engine has a knock... He says he had it looked at and the shop said something about some worn springs?? Looking around at what this could potentially be and how I could better determine... any help would be appreciated...

-daniel
ACCT springs maybe.... offer $1600... and shake your head about the nock and the leaks...grab the bike and run!.. this forum canfix any and everything!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
In the (vulcan vurses) look for acct's. Also check out the grambo trick. This should give you the info that you need.
Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replys and the welcome... I just found a youtube video of a vulcan making the exact noise... and the diagnosis was exactly that... ACCT springs...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
BTW the best fix is mcct's. I got mine from TOC manufacturing. The cost at that time was $50 dollars per cylinder.

·
Registered
900 Posts
go low on your bid for the bike and try not to let em know you know about this forum as you offer $500 less than he is asking!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
go low on your bid for the bike and try not to let em know you know about this forum as you offer $500 less than he is asking!
Would be funny if the owner logs in here and sees this lol

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That would have been even funnier lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahaha! That would be funny... he actually mentioned being able to find a fix for it online... :smiley_th

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.. I'm gonna have a friend of mine (very experienced rider) come over and take it for a spin... thanks again for the replies and info...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Cool, best of luck with it!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Oh and do come back and let us know how it goes :p

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
I have to say "ditto" to what everyone else says. If the bike runs decent and looks good, for that price (offer of $1600), I say you are getting a deal! Actually, even at $2000 it's still a pretty solid deal. I see comparable bikes selling down here in Phx for as much as $3500.

I'm not sure if you mentioned or not - how many miles are on it?

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
22k miles on the bike (first post). I would ask how often were the splines lubed? at 22k miles they should have been done at LEAST 3 times and are just about due to be done again!

·
Registered
83 Posts
And after you get it, check & lube the rear drive splines! Easy to do. My 2001 came from the factory with no lube. I have heard of other bikes too. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey guys... thought I would stop back in and give updates... So... If all goes according to plan I should be taking possession of the bike this weekend... Tony, the current owner, was actually a member on here and said he had posted some pics (over a year ago)... So I'm gonna pay the $2k (that's actually down from his original asking price) but it comes with aftermarket Vance and Hines pipes (which sound great... and I don't like loud bikes), saddle bags and a throttle lock... He said that he had just lubed the spline something like 3k miles ago... He also mentioned the previous owner had let the spline go too long without lubrication and had to have it replaced... So I should be good to go there...

And I apologize to the forum moderator for taking this thread a bit off topic... probably should have gone into the newbie section...

·
Registered
900 Posts
sounds like you got yourself a good one then... when you get a chance update you profile with your location and what not... and welcome to the best place on earth for VN750 drivers!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Coolness... congratulations!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sound like a good deal. Hope we can welcome you to the Vulcan madness soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts