Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Mine's Up Front

These mounts back by the rear tire that you guys are showing are pretty good looking. Similar to what I made. The only problem I had was that the RR unit was still getting a lot of hot air off the engine. I checked it out when I burnt up my second RR. Heat was still quite a bit back there.
Since I wanted my 3rd RR to stay COOL--that is, C-O-O-L-!!!-- I mounted it up beside the radiator. I've checked it up there--touched it with my hand after riding a ways. Even up front, it does get good and warm all by itself. No question in my mind; it needs every bit of cool air that it can get.
And don't stint on the wiring!
If the OE wiring gets hot--and it does--then it needs to be upped a size to reduce resistance. I'm told that increased heat in a wire increases its resistance, and increased resistance means increased load on the stator. At least that's the best I can figure out in my readings on the matter.
I came right off the stator with larger gauge wiring than OE. Now everything on the charging circuit has larger wiring. Everything else is still OE Kawasaki wiring, but the stator-RR-junction box-battery stuff is bigger. It stays cool now.
That's my 2 bits worth. Might not be necessary to do all this, but after 2 stators and 2 RR units I got PO-ed and decided no more!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine's Up Front

These mounts back by the rear tire that you guys are showing are pretty good looking. Similar to what I made. The only problem I had was that the RR unit was still getting a lot of hot air off the engine. I checked it out when I burnt up my second RR. Heat was still quite a bit back there.
Since I wanted my 3rd RR to stay COOL--that is, C-O-O-L-!!!-- I mounted it up beside the radiator. I've checked it up there--touched it with my hand after riding a ways. Even up front, it does get good and warm all by itself. No question in my mind; it needs every bit of cool air that it can get.
And don't stint on the wiring!
If the OE wiring gets hot--and it does--then it needs to be upped a size to reduce resistance. I'm told that increased heat in a wire increases its resistance, and increased resistance means increased load on the stator. At least that's the best I can figure out in my readings on the matter.
I came right off the stator with larger gauge wiring than OE. Now everything on the charging circuit has larger wiring. Everything else is still OE Kawasaki wiring, but the stator-RR-junction box-battery stuff is bigger. It stays cool now.
That's my 2 bits worth. Might not be necessary to do all this, but after 2 stators and 2 RR units I got PO-ed and decided no more!!!
Hi! I was thinking of relocating in the front… do you have any pics for help?

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
Hi! I was thinking of relocating in the front… do you have any pics for help?
Post is from 2009, I've never seen the poster here.

I put mine behind the left side cover, just bent a simple bracket (aluminum from a frying pan) and used the two bolts on the battery box. Made a pattern with cardboard from a cereal box, when the pattern fit, I transferred the fold lines to the metal, made two bends, drilled six holes, voila, relocated RR. It does cover the fuse box but I've never had to get in there, I keep a 10mm t-handle handy for seat removal anyway.

The MOSFET I got was too large for the stock location, but it's needed mod anyway.

Did have a pic but didn't find it on the computer, must still be on a memory card. There were some more recent posts with pics for the left cover job, but I didn't find them, there's 23 pages of results in the search. Too bad we can't sort by date. Myself and thtanner had posted pics.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I put mine behind the left side cover, just bent a simple bracket (aluminum from a frying pan) and used the two bolts on the battery box. Made a pattern with cardboard from a cereal box, when the pattern fit, I transferred the fold lines to the metal, made two bends, drilled six holes, voila, relocated RR. It does cover the fuse box but I've never had to get in there, I keep a 10mm t-handle handy for seat removal anyway.

The MOSFET I got was too large for the stock location, but it's needed mod anyway.

Did have a pic but didn't find it on the computer, must still be on a memory card. There were some more recent posts with pics for the left cover job, but I didn't find them, there's 23 pages of results in the search. Too bad we can't sort by date. Myself and thtanner had posted pics.

oh yeah , I think I came along in one of your pics! I rememberit, but it doesn‘t get really hot on the plastic cover?.
I was thinking to move it up front either little higher of the oil filter, or way Higher closer to the top part of the radiator

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
oh yeah , I think I came along in one of your pics! I rememberit, but it doesn‘t get really hot on the plastic cover?.
I was thinking to move it up front either little higher of the oil filter, or way Higher closer to the top part of the radiator
It hangs there with about an inch or so air gap on the two sides and more around the edges, I would guess there's some airflow in there, and the bracket itself can shed some heat. Installed in 2013, 6500 miles with no problems.

I think if you move it up front you'll need to extend the wiring. Edit: With a MOSFET kit, extending the wires isn't that big of a deal. You'll really just have the positive and ground running to the battery, and the three stator wires, plenty of wire in the kit.

Just getting it away from the goat belly, and potential battery acid, is all you need.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It hangs there with about an inch or so air gap on the two sides and more around the edges, I would guess there's some airflow in there, and the bracket itself can shed some heat.

I think if you move it up front you'll need to extend the wiring.

Just getting it away from the goat belly, and potential battery acid, is all you need.
Yeah true! I was thinking to measure etc…. I still have to order the mosfet though. I think the other one is bad, according to the numbers

21 - 26 of 26 Posts