Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Everyone.

Yesterday I started my 85 Vulcan for the first time, and from what the previous owner told me he had it stored for 2 years. I've found three issues that I need some opinions on.

First issue is when I turn the handle bars to the right the bike shuts off, but turning to the left has no effect. From what I researched it could be the cut off switch wires are being pulled too much. Any other thoughts?

Second issue, when I go to put it into first gear the bike stalls right away. I think it just needs a clutch cable adjustment. The clutch lever is also very tough to squeeze. Any other thoughts?

Third issue, when the bike was idling, every few minutes it would go from 1100rpm to about 2000rpm. I would just adjust the idle back down to normal. It did the same thing about two more times after, but stopped eventually. Think it was just warming up?

On a side note, since I got the bike I've changed/flushed all the fluids on the bike (oil, coolant, brakes, and final drive), relocated the R/R, AGM battery, lubed up the splines, and new gasket kit for petcock.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
check your kickstand switch as to your shutting off when you put it in gear

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
For third issue, if the RPM is "wandering" at idle you might have a vacuum leak where the carbs attach to the cylinders. Get the bike running then spray some starter fluid around the rubber boots holding the carbs to the cylinders. If there is no vacuum leak the RPMs should not change while doing this. If when you spray the starter fluid the RPMs jump, you've got a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update; Second and third issues seem to be solved after some tweaking.

First issue with turning the handlebars to the right and bike shutting off is still happening.
I did some trial and error. When the bike is over 2500rpm and I turn the handlebars to the right it didn't turn off. When i very very slowly turned the handlebars to the right it didn't turn off. Turning it to the right with moderate speed it turns off. Turning it to the right, right before it shuts off I give it some rpm and it does a quick chug then stays alive. When it does shut down it feels like the bike is chugging briefly before it shuts down.

Any opinions or thoughts?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
take off the headlight and check all your plugs inside the buckets.also check the plugs on the left side under the gas tank

Reactions: Thorn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take off the headlight and check all your plugs inside the buckets.also check the plugs on the left side under the gas tank

You da man :smiley_th. I took off the headlight, and found one of the ignition wires was stripped. When I turned the handlebars to the right the exposed wire would ground itself on the forks.
I fixed it but haven't tested it yet since its been very cold. I'll update when i test it.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Doc how did you figure that one out? Its so ridiculously simple that its extremely difficult to figure out. Had that happened to you before?

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Doc how did you figure that one out? Its so ridiculously simple that its extremely difficult to figure out. Had that happened to you before?
yes on an old Yamaha 400.someone else here also had the same problem a while back

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Well Zack, there is a prime example of benefitting from the freely given experience here on-site. A zero-cost fix to something that bugs the sin out of ya. I'd probably be testing for cosmic rays from the planet Zarcon. May all of our problems be as simple (and cheap to fix).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Zack, there is a prime example of benefitting from the freely given experience here on-site. A zero-cost fix to something that bugs the sin out of ya. I'd probably be testing for cosmic rays from the planet Zarcon. May all of our problems be as simple (and cheap to fix).
Hahaha I feel you on that one.

Update: I taped up the exposed wires, gave it a test run and the bike no longer shuts off when turning right :smiley_th

1 - 10 of 10 Posts