Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Just thinking out loud here.)

Here's the background. My bike seemed to have some charging problems, but it did run fairly regularly. However, it wouldn't take much to drain this battery.

Upon tearing it down, I noticed that the R/R is fried. I plan to replace it. Would the folks who have had stator problems chime in on this one: I already have the engine out of the frame. Should I replace the stator NOW judging by the fact that the R/R was fried? I have no proof that the stator is bad, but if it is heading that way, I sort of feel like I should spend the $140 extra now and be done with it.

Is that a wise course of action?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bishop said:
(Just thinking out loud here.)

Here's the background. My bike seemed to have some charging problems, but it did run fairly regularly. However, it wouldn't take much to drain this battery.

Upon tearing it down, I noticed that the R/R is fried. I plan to replace it. Would the folks who have had stator problems chime in on this one: I already have the engine out of the frame. Should I replace the stator NOW judging by the fact that the R/R was fried? I have no proof that the stator is bad, but if it is heading that way, I sort of feel like I should spend the $140 extra now and be done with it.

Is that a wise course of action?
B...
If there was not the recent spate of Electrex stators failing...mine included, I'd say definitely yes.
You can do the stator short to ground test and the winding resistance tests without the engine operative...so I would definitely do that anyway.
Your problem is that replacing the OEM w/ an Electrex (or other mfg) used to be considered a permanent fix.
I don't think that applies anymore.
Do the tests, get the results and at least you'll know, or think you know, thatyour stator is OK or not....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts