Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a pair of chaps that are extremly tight in the legs and was wondering what everyone wears. With armor and waterproof materials out there, do most riders still wear chaps?
Some say it's only the old dogs or wannabees still don the leather. And when it rains, you look rather strange with a wet crotch.
So chime in with your preference, and add a link if possible. I'm may send these back, but they are bad ass...

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Kevlar reinforced jeans.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Chaps are fine if you don't mind risking having your ass ground off....or your balls.

I wear armored mesh pants in summer, and armored textile or leather pants when it's cooler.

Leather pants only real problem is they are warm to hot to wear. Chaps might be cooler but don't offer the same protection....

Leathers also don't like getting wet....but if its raining that hard you likely be wearing a rain suit over them.
Many textile pants are water proof or have a water proof liner and dry faster when wet.

Guess its your choice if you want to look like a Power Ranger or one of The Village People...:)

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
Just bought a pair of chaps that are extremly tight in the legs and was wondering what everyone wears. With armor and waterproof materials out there, do most riders still wear chaps?
Some say it's only the old dogs or wannabees still don the leather. And when it rains, you look rather strange with a wet crotch.
So chime in with your preference, and add a link if possible. I'm may send these back, but they are bad ass...

noooooooo, not another pants/chaps thread!!!!! lol ;)

Kevlar reinforced jeans.
I'm with you on this one M_Angel. besides I have yet to find "black cammo chaps with skulls"! lol ;)
but when it's cold/chilly the wife will wear her chaps.

Guess its your choice if you want to look like a Power Ranger or one of The Village People...:)
now that's just too funny!

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
So wait, your guy's wives only wear the chaps on the bike lol.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
231 Posts

Either it's because I'm stupid, or because I come from the touring scooter
(250cc +) world, but I just wear jeans, and rain gear when needed. It could also be because well I'm a fat ass, and think chaps would look silly on me. I guess I just haven't found a strong enough argument other than a wind breaker to wearing chaps.

If I'm wrong in this please someone chime in and let me knowe I'm an idiot and should start searching for some chaps for that will cover my big ol' thighs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
So wait, your guy's wives only wear the chaps on the bike lol.
I'm trying to get her to wear only chaps off the bike. :pepper:

I just wear Levis. I keep saying I need to get some overpants or chaps but I haven't found the right mix of protection and comfort (i.e. sweating to death in the FL sun in the summer).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Armored mesh pants that match my jacket in the summer, haven't ridden in the winter yet so that I can't comment on.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Either it's because I'm stupid, or because I come from the touring scooter
(250cc +) world, but I just wear jeans, and rain gear when needed. It could also be because well I'm a fat ass, and think chaps would look silly on me. I guess I just haven't found a strong enough argument other than a wind breaker to wearing chaps.

If I'm wrong in this please someone chime in and let me knowe I'm an idiot and should start searching for some chaps for that will cover my big ol' thighs.
I am a little(cough,cough) on the round side of the equation and I know they make Leather Overpants.that will fit you sjnce I have pair.I went with the pants because I don't want this much butt all scuffed up.

Besides,No one wants to see a short fat man in buttless chaps.There's a picture for you all to try to get out of your head.:D

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I am a little(cough,cough) on the round side of the equation and I know they make Leather Overpants.that will fit you sjnce I have pair.I went with the pants because I don't want this much butt all scuffed up.
That sounds like a good solution to me, now here is the problem I face. They don't make women's riding gear that big enough, or it's hard to find and I have no clue what size I'd wear in a guys pant.

Hmmm

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
i always wanted a pair of chaps in brown buckskin (cowhide, with fringes. Ive only ever found em for the wimmins...

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
That sounds like a good solution to me, now here is the problem I face. They don't make women's riding gear that big enough, or it's hard to find and I have no clue what size I'd wear in a guys pant.

Hmmm
You need to go to a shop that sells such stuff and try them on. Pants are fairly unisex....but I don't know the conversion of men's to women's sizes (try google?)

My wife and I have matching jackets. Both are "mens". Try stuff on and just find what fits.

Oh, and why you shouldn't wear just jeans:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

Hmmm
Men's pants are easy to measure for,they are sized in inches,none of that secret coding that women use,8,10. 12 ,and so on.What's that all about?

Take tape measure and measure around your waist and you have your size.Most of the leather pants come un-hemmed and you just cut them to length.Just be sure to sit down when you measure them before cutting them off so they won't be to short when you are on your bike.
Look at this link and you can get an Idea of what you want and their prices are reasonable.I have Used there stuff and it is pretty good quality for the price.
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Leather-Pants-Chaps/1/146.html

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well, I agree you need protection as KM said, but myself I wear the leather chaps when it's cold/cool enough, but when it's pretty warm/hot I just do the Levis...
I know not too smart, and really not too tough anymore, darn thin skin & blood thinners, but that's just what I do...
I guess like the preacher said, do as I say, don't do as I do...lol...
PS-BTW-Birdhunter02, I have some bird huntin pants that have an extra briar guard layer on the front of the legs, bet them things would be good in the cold/cooler weather... Do you hunt Quail or Grouse, or both...??? I used to hunt'em, got a bit too old I guess...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
A lil roadrash never hurt nobody, especially one like that one KM...sure, hurts like 1000 sunburns, but teaches lessons to.... ;)

For chaps, one can also try tack shops...usually cost less than a bike shop, but are also usually stiffer and cumbersome to ride in...
I couldda pucked up 3 used pair local for $100, but didnt like the black.....always wore heavy jeans, always will.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i recommended these last time this question came up, and still do.

http://coloradochaps.com/original_chaps.html

it gets damned hot and humid in the midwest in the summer. maybe it's not 100% protection but i am sorry, my junk gets too hot in riding pants. these allow ventilation during hot weather and offer pretty good cool weather comfort as well. easy on and off, leave your boots on. velcro on top attaches to your pants belt. i wear jeans under them and keep pretty cool, sometimes don't wear the chaps when too hot and sunny... take up the room of a light jacket in your saddlebags, won't rot, don't need oiled, the knees on the ones i bought had a weird open flap that flapped in the wind, i took them to the tailor next door to my barber shop where i go, they sewed the flaps shut for $10 cash. work like a charm and very comfy now. i personally don't like leather on the bike or on me, i go mostly with the cordura stuff for bags and gear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts