Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in another thread you touched on the l.e.d. lights causing the r/r to have to burn off more juice. i was looking at having tim rewind my stator there is nothing wrong with the charging system on my bike. my r/r seems ok the bike is charging at 13.9v. when i put the bike back together i am degoating finally relocating my r/r and was thinking of doing hizzo's battery box mod to hold the 12v30 westco battery 30ah 350cca. basically i am asking if you would have the stator rewound or not and what are your thoughts on the 12v30 battery. as a side note i have no plans for driving lights. heated anything, gps or any other accessory i am going to put in a hid headlight and some auxillary l.e.d. brake lamps. thanks in advance. Drew

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
in another thread you touched on the l.e.d. lights causing the r/r to have to burn off more juice. i was looking at having tim rewind my stator there is nothing wrong with the charging system on my bike. my r/r seems ok the bike is charging at 13.9v. when i put the bike back together i am degoating finally relocating my r/r and was thinking of doing hizzo's battery box mod to hold the 12v30 westco battery 30ah 350cca. basically i am asking if you would have the stator rewound or not and what are your thoughts on the 12v30 battery. as a side note i have no plans for driving lights. heated anything, gps or any other accessory i am going to put in a hid headlight and some auxillary l.e.d. brake lamps. thanks in advance. Drew
The best thing you can do for the charging system is to relocate the R/R. unless you plan on adding a crap load of accessories the larger battery is not needed. As far as rewinding the stator that will depend on the AC output. below 40 AC volts I would rewind, 50-70 is normal @4000 rpm.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is at each phase correct. guess i will start it up before i pull it apart wednesday to replace the dampers. thanks again.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
that is at each phase correct. guess i will start it up before i pull it apart wednesday to replace the dampers. thanks again.
All three phases two at a time, set mm on AC volts.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have done a lot with automotive charging systems (alternators) this is my first motorcycle charging system.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:pepper: HAPPY DANCE TIME!!!!
tested my stator according to the instructions found in an earlier thread

will only give one result per test all were consistant
stator to case 2.64 Mohm
across stator phases .8 ohm
68 Vac at 4k rpm

seems good to me thanks lance.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
:pepper: HAPPY DANCE TIME!!!!
tested my stator according to the instructions found in an earlier thread

will only give one result per test all were consistant
stator to case 2.64 Mohm
across stator phases .8 ohm
68 Vac at 4k rpm

seems good to me thanks lance.
Everything looks good except the stator to case, should be open and no reading. It was probably the setting on the MM since you have high output.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the meter i am using is a mac em710 it will even read resistance of the human body

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
figured i would throw up a couple of pics of my stator and see what you think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts