Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just finished replacing my regulator/rectifier on my 2004 Vulcan 750,and after hooking all the wire-grommets back up to where they should be,I turned on the key,and hit the startor button and all I heard,was a quick "clicking" noise that was coming from the new regulator/rectifier I just finished replacing!?!?! I shut the key off,and double-checked to make sure everything was hooked up exactly like it was before I dissassembled everything,and tried again.

Once again,the starter didn't engage like it normally does,and I heard the same loud,clicking noise coming straight from the new regulator/rectifier!?!? I have NO IDEA what's causing this or why the bike is reacting this way!?!?

If anyone knows what the possible cause of this is,please reply asap so I can try and figure out what the problem is and why it won't start!?!? Thanks guys!!! :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I suspect you have a loose ground connection.

Did you mess with your ground connection at all? Perhaps removing the negative connection from the battery while working?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Could it be the starter solenoid or the Junction Box clicking? Check battery voltage, battery connections, and touch the solenoid, RR, and JB while you hit start. See where you feel the click.

Since the RR is solid state, there shouldn't be any clicking coming from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Jason!!! And I did indeed unhook both the negative and the positive sides from the battery before completley removing the battery. When I was finished installing the new regulator however,I simply went back attached every single thing I UN attached when disassembling and connected both the battery-terminals back tight!!! And the ground leading from the negative-terminal to the frame,was tight and secure as well,so I know it wasn't due to a loose connection!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Spockster,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I KNOW it's coming from the regulator and not anywhere else,is after I first "heard" the clicking",I bent over and listened to hear where it was coming from!!! It SOUNDED like the regulator I just put in,but like You.........I thought "it doesn't have any moving parts inside of it,so how can THAT be clicking!?!? " But after hitting the starter button again,I put my fingers on it,while hitting the start button and sure enough,I FELT a vibrations coming from it,as it clicked away!?!? I tell ya,I'm confused as all get out,because I must've gone over all my connections that I undid before AND afterwards,and triple-checked everything and that's what I'm left with!?!?! I have no idea what the problem is here!?!? (Oh,and I run a lightweight lithium battery,that is fully-charged also,so it's definitely not a low-charge.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The bike should turn over with the R/R detached. Unplug it from the rest of the wiring and see if you can start it with the charging system removed from the equation.

Clicking from a solid state R/R is ... bad. Heavy internal arcing is the only thing I can think of. Probably best to unplug the stator wires from it too just to add as much protection to that system as possible.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
I have no idea how the RR could produce a click. Is this a stock type RR or something else?

Does the lithium battery have enough amps?

Did you also touch the other parts, just to be sure? All three are pretty close.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
The bike should turn over with the R/R detached. Unplug it from the rest of the wiring and see if you can start it with the charging system removed from the equation.

Clicking from a solid state R/R is ... bad. Heavy internal arcing is the only thing I can think of. Probably best to unplug the stator wires from it too just to add as much protection to that system as possible.
So like a slow sizzling sound? Yikes.

Good point on disconnecting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a great idea Thorn!

I'll most definitely try that tomorrow and see what the results are from it! It's appreciated,and I'll keep everyone on here,up to date on what happens!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no idea how the RR could produce a click. Is this a stock type RR or something else?

Does the lithium battery have enough amps?

Did you also touch the other parts, just to be sure? All three are pretty close.
Hello Spockster,

Nope,it's a pure OEM Kawasaki regulator/rectifier! Even has the same exact OEM numbers on the back of it,that my stock one has as well. And I've been running the lithium battery in it for a little over two years now,and have never once had a problem starting it before! So I'm guessing it's perfectly fine when it comes to the voltage/amperage of it. No,I didn't touch the other parts when I heard the clicking,because as I said,I already heard where it was coming from,and even felt it when I put my fingers on it! So I KNOW it was the regulator/rectifier for sure!

Anyway,I'm not sure if this forum accepts a video of this happening,but if it does,I'll try and record what it's doing and upload it to this question sometime tomorrow,okay? Thanks everyone. G/night.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The forum doesn't accept videos. Upload it to YouTube and put the video link in your reply and it will embed into your post.

This bike will crank and even start without the R/R connected. The headlight won't come on, but it will otherwise run fine until the battery drains.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
It's not that I doubt your abilities, it's just that sounds and sights can be deceiving, and the parts are close enough to transmit the vibration to the other areas. The part vibrating the strongest will be the culprit.

I do recall electronics, electrical equipment, making some strange noises, just can't think of any examples right now. A sizzling, clicking sound, usually in times of weakened amps, bad connection, or low voltage.

The battery test can wait a bit, but all batteries die eventually, some sooner than they should. I never go too deep until I'm sure the battery is putting out. They're fine one day and gone the next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts