Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think it all starts with a defensive riding mindset.. Like mentioned, Always be on the look out for A holes... One good thing is bikes meneuver better than cars... Take the course, always have an out lane.. But i'm new to this so what do i know.. My wifes knows i'm happy when i ride so she doesn't get on me too much.. i wear my helmet, gloves, and need to get a orange vest .. Can't be too safe right..

cheers
Yes, invest in some protective gear and use it. I have a hi viz mesh jacket that I always wear along with boots and gloves when I ride. The downside to that is I'll usually drive the truck to run a quick errand because I don't won't to gear up just for that. Then there the opposite extreme: I saw a guy last week in full gear stop for gas. After topping off his bike he went into the store, helmet still in place, went to the restroom, and shopped for a minute before exiting the store. Couldn't help but wonder if it was all that hard to remove the helmet.

Reactions: fishgolf77

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Can't wear a hi viz vest as it covers my vest

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I only wear a full face helmet. Always wear a proper jacket with built in padding, riding boots (riding shoes dont work, broke an ankle already), and gloves. High vis is suggested, though I don't run it... i should.

Reactions: fishgolf77

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the stories shared. As someone who didn't grow up with such I need to absorb all the info I can.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finished my basic rider class. Killer deal for $25!

The 5.11 vest is nice quality they provide. There were no drops or crashes in our class. I was probably the "weakest" rider but i suspect some had riding experience as many got 0 points off on test.

I did lock up my rear wheel once - but recovered. Lots to learn!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
ok, after a quick search on the web, I found these:

STAY ALIVE DEFENSIVE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING ACADEMY - Home

https://www.defensivedriving.com/blog/motorcycle-safety/

Defensive Driving Online Course from National Safety Council - Motorcycle

so to answer your question, "Do defensive riding courses exist?", I would have to say "yes.", but, since we don't know were you are from, we have no idea if any are in your area. that, my friend, you will have to look into yourself. but, they are out there! so there you go. ride safe. :smile2:
The first one on the list is located in Buccan, Queensland, Australia.
Probably farther than you want to travel, eh?

The second one seems to have four locations in Texas, Florida, New Jersey and California.

The third seems to have courses all over the country, so they may be the easiest to access.

I am the same age as you, just turned 63. I have had a mc licence since I was 14, and rode 100 cc tiddlers out on my friend's and cousin's farms back then. Also rode my brother's 650 Honda to work for 3 or 4 weeks back in my mid 20's when rebuilding the engine in my car. Other than that only an occasional short ride until I got my first scoot, a vn750, just after I turned 55--eight years ago.

My riding experience is probably not a good one to share with your wife. Six weeks after I bought the bike I got too close to a guardrail on an exit ramp and dragged my leg for 50 feet and busted my lower left leg pretty badly. The bike was not seriously damaged, but I lost 4 riding seasons before getting back on the scoot.

My wife also hates motorcycles, and worries when I am out riding, but my 4 daughters have convinced her that I need to be free to do some things that I enjoy, even if there is some risk involved.

In some ways I think that wreck was a blessing to me. I found this vn750 board and other safety forums while recovering,

Check these out.
Motorcycle Safety Site

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

as well as some excellent books on Proficient Motorcycling (The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, and Mastering the Ride). I believe the info on these links, and reading and re-reading these books have made me a safer rider today.

http://www.amazon.com/David-L.-Hough/e/B001JOWE2I/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

Wearing full protective gear in warm/hot weather can take most of the joy out of riding. This Bohn Under Armor may put most of the joy back. The hard armor shin guard may have saved me much pain and injury back in 2008, if I had known about it and been using it.
http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?gclid=CIeXm4j34bgCFek7Mgod1w0ALg

Good luck, and may you return home safely after every ride.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Heres a good one (story)....thought I had the kick-stand down...!!Whoops!!!! :surprise:
Saw a guy once pull up to a red light and not put his feet down...

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts