Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent past thread I wrote how I had a POOGS issue twice in two weeks. Had another on the other day that got solved differently. Had to pull over on the highway due to the symptoms of running out of gas, though I had 1/4 tank left. Thought it might be a clogged gas cap vent hole, so I opened the gas cap and starting her up, but to no avail. 10 minutes went by and my battery looked like it was starting to run down. My bike was facing up hill on a bridge when I stalled, so I pushed her until she was facing down hill, and attempted to push start her one time. She didn't start. But then I tried cranking her normally and she started right up. Seemed like she just needed a little gas in the cooker and the only way to get it there was to push start it in.

Anyone had this happen to them? What could be the cause?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Have you checked /cleaned the screen filter in your tank ? Maybe partially clogged.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked /cleaned the screen filter in your tank ? Maybe partially clogged.
Thanks for your reply, but I'm not aware of a filter or screen in the tank. I know there's one in the fuel tap (petcock) that can get clogged, but nothing that I know of in the tank itself.

Anyone have any ideas as to why attempting to push start the engine caused the fuel to flow again, when opening the gas cap could not? Just coincidence?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
As you crank on the engine, the vaccuum to the petcock opens the fuel a little bit at a time. It takes a little while for the carbs to fill. Glad you got it going.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you crank on the engine, the vaccuum to the petcock opens the fuel a little bit at a time. It takes a little while for the carbs to fill. Glad you got it going.
Perhaps the vacuum was able to suck the gas through an obstructed petcock screen whereas gravity couldn't so the electric start couldn't to the trick.

By the way, IS there a screen in the tank or anything that can clog up anywhere before the petcock, beside the gas cap vent hole?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Perhaps the vacuum was able to suck the gas through an obstructed petcock screen whereas gravity couldn't so the electric start couldn't to the trick.

By the way, IS there a screen in the tank or anything that can clog up anywhere before the petcock, beside the gas cap vent hole?
there IS a screen on the backside of your Petcock... pull off your tank & Petcock & inspect .....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm a firm believer that one of the solutions to POOGS is to replace the vacuum hose running from the petcock to the carb. Be sure you have a hose that hasn't hardened with age and makes a good seal. I can't remember how long ago I replaced mine and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm a firm believer that one of the solutions to POOGS is to replace the vacuum hose running from the petcock to the carb. Be sure you have a hose that hasn't hardened with age and makes a good seal. I can't remember how long ago I replaced mine and haven't had a problem since.
Sorry, but replacing the vacuum hose running from the petcock to the carb. will not solve classic POOGS (as it has been described on this site). That vacuum line opens the valve allowing gas to flow (by gravity) from the gas tank to the carb. A faulty vacuum hose running from the petcock to the carb. may cause the similar symptoms as classic POOGS, but the cause and fix is different. Classic POOGS is the result of a vacuum developing in the gas tank itself due to lack of venting (i.e., classic POOGS as it has been described on this site). The gas tank vacuum prevents fuel from flowing through the petcock (no matter how open it is) and into the carb. Classic POOGS is also very predictable; 1/2 tank or less, stall, open gas cap for 3-5 minutes, restart after a cranking for a while, repeat.

The only fix for classic POOGS is cleaning/repairing/solving the gas cap venting system from end to end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts