Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that some one has a great, simple - Duh I shoulda thought of that - fix for this:

I went out to start the bike the other day turned on the switch cluster lights came on turned it on and hit the start button - the cluster lights went out and nothing happened - I have since checked the battery - which is completely charged - and check the ground wires that I know of - but since the lights went out - they have not come back on.

any suggestions would be most appreciated

·
Registered
458 Posts
Try checking the Main fuse (30A) inside the junction box, Located under the left hand side cover. If its blown you still may have an issue, you could try replacing it and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also...have you wiggled the ignition key about in the ignition !,,as this is a common fault too. :hitanykey

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well - that was a good start - the 30 amp fuse was ok a bit heat stressed but still ok - however the ACC fuse was quite a bit melted (prob what stressed the 30 amp next to it) and quite blown - what does that even go to?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
That is the accessory fuse. I think that means everything except the tail light and headlight

Do you have spares on the bottom?

If so just pop one of those in and see what happens

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the frame ground - it is good - I also threw in a spare (good) fuse and still nothing. I also wiggled the key around nothing there either.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The ACC fuse huh? Thats interesting. I cant find in the schematics what that fuse accually does. However this is what I did find, mayby it can help. Go to the second page of the post from the link below. I took a photo of the internal schematic of the JB, there is also another post of the same thing that is in color but a bit harder to read, that one will tell you whats what inside the JB. Item 21 is the ACC fuse, 22 is the main fuse. Pin 1 on the 8 pin connector is the power going into the JB, should be the WHT/R wire. Pins 3a and 3b would be the output via the ACC fuse. I dont know, is there even any wires in those slots? If the ACC fuse blows then it would have to be a problem coming from those two pins. Unless there is a problem internal to the JB.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18941&page=2

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
There are two sets of spare acc leads on the bike. One set by the headlight bucket, and a second set under the right side cover. Not sure if that what the acc fuse is for or not.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
if the acc fuse just goes to extra stuff - then i guess one of those hot wires must have grounded out somewhere because I don't think i have anything extra wired up to the bike at all - except that i don't keep blowing the fuse - when i try to switch it on - nothing happens - the kickstand switch went out a while back but I just disabled it - so its not that either - it looks like there is no power getting to anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere... have you actually taken off the grounds, clean them and then put them back on?

I had the same problem, I ran an extra fresh ground from the battery to the frame and everything worked again. Just when you think a ground is good, it isnt...

·
Registered
57 Posts
theres another one that comes off the battery that ties into the battery cable... have you used a volt meter to test for power in the places that are suppose to be getting power?

IE:
1:power to the key switch?
2:power on other side of the key switch with the key on?
3:continuity from solenoid to button and back?
4: etc, etc,etc...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will check out the other ground this evening - Lance used to live up the road from me so - I used to take it up there - I am just now figuring out where to check for power myself.

learnin' is a good thing :0)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Question, did you replace the fuse and still nothing? Maybe we need to be sure the input to the JB is still good. Check pin one of the 8 pin connector, should be the WHT/R wire. There should be 12VDC (battery voltage) there. Ive had it explained to me that when theres a short that short is felt across the whole circuit, if there was a weak spot in the input wire the short could of damaged it further. If there is 12 vdc there try pluging the connector back in and see if you have voltage coming out of the JB. You could use a small wire to wrap around one of the meter lead tips and proble the back of the connector. Also you could check the ACC wires to see if they are shorted to ground. Pins 3a and 3b as explained in one of my other replys. Do you have a maintenance manual with schematics ??

·
Banned
448 Posts
Check your key switch. I had a similar problem with mine, and mine also would die when I turned the handlebars at a stop. I took the switch apart, and the contacts were corroded really badly, and it was full of dirt and sand.
I cleaned it, put a dab of axle grease on the contacts, put it together, and haven't had any problems since.
Usually on a car when you try to start it and everything goes dark it's is usually a corroded or loose cable on the battery. More often than not, it's the negative side.
I have had cars that wouldn't even light up the dash when you turn on the switch, and I wiggled the cables, and it would fire right up with no apparent corrosion and the cables seemed tight enough where you couldn't move them by hand.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the ideas - I have been out of town for the last almost month and am just now getting back to tracking down the problem.

I have replaced the fuse - cleaned and re-tightened the grounds at the frame - checked for any visible bad cables and acc leads short to ground and don't see anything. when you turn on the switch you get nothing - no lights or sounds - and the fuse I replaced (acc fuse) does not blow - nothing happens. I am not sure how to test for voltage in various places - do I have to take the inst cluster off to check for voltage there or at the switch?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am thinking its you ignition....if you can wiggle the key and you get lights back then that is your issue.. its a pain but you can take the electrical part off of the key switch and do some cleaning and what not... be carfull takeing that sucker appart though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts