Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Pure Gas for Winter Storage & Minimal Winter Riding--!!

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Joshua 
#1 · (Edited)
I try to run non ethanol gas about all the time but sometimes you just buy what is where you are when you need gas, I have had no gas related problems so far by do just that...
One thing that I always do though is make sure I don't let my bike sit for a period of time with ethanol gas in it, this is where I make sure that I gas up with non-ethanol in the winter months...
I have never added a gas stabalizer during the winter months and never had a gas problem...
Here is a list of gas stations that have non ethanol gas, listed for your state...
http://pure-gas.org/
I think that ethanol can cause several problems especially with the not too older bikes, the VN750s included... I know we are not running marine engines, but think we could get some lesson from this from a long time & reputable marine engine Mfg., check out what they say... http://www.evinrude-parts.com/boat_ethanol_danger_precaution.html ...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#2 ·
Bummer, not many stations near me. The closest is a 30 minute ride and only has premium. Looks like I'm stuck adding a few oz of Seafoam.

As for fuel stabilizers, I think their usage might be more related more to where you live, not the fuel used. In my former home of New England winters are long, cold and hard on unused motors and batteries. Additives definitely help (as do battery tenders). Here in Portland I ride at least once or twice a month during the winter (or lack there of). No need for additives or battery tenders here. However, I still keep a few oz of Seafoam in the tank just in case I can't get out for a few months (old habits die hard).

#3 ·
Same here, closest station to me would be about a 45mins to an hr ride.

Being that I stripped out the crap tank sealer the PO used in the tank, and my tank is a little rusty inside, I'm a seafoam junkie anyway. Have been from day one.

#4 ·
Living in the middle of emission control here in Dallas, there isn't a station close at all. I too am a Seafoam fanatic. Since I've gotten the bike, the 4 wheelers sit for long periods of time now. Never have a problem with them starting because of bad gas.

#11 ·
Avgas is probably not a good idea. Avgas has tetraethyl lead in it, which is not good for catalytic converters, if your bike is still so equipped. It's also not good for O2 sensors, in case you were thinking of using it in other applications.

Racing fuel does not necessarily imply that it is not an oxygenated blend. Ethanol is not the only oxygenate that is hygroscopic.

The marina is a good suggestion, but there are areas of the country where even the marinas are putting ethanol in the gas.

#6 ·
I remember as a teenager we had a late 30s Dodge and I didn't have the $1 for gas and it was almost dead on the empty mark, but there was almost a full 5 gal. can of kerosene, so me and my buddy poured the kerosene in and threw in a handfull of moth balls and away we went for a bit of courtin, made out fine, at least with the car...lol...
Don't know how it affected the engine though... Now I just try to listen to what the engineers and engine folks say, they have finally got smarter than me, so I tend to listen now...lol...
I am not an engineer or scientist, I just posted what a lot of engineers & those that should be in the know say, and told my experience... Wasn't trying to sell gasoline as I don't have a refinery, wasn't knockin SeaFoam, nor do I do moonshine anymore... But I think Junior Johnson had it worked out...lol... So whatever flips the water off your lilly, go for it...lol...
Hey y'all have a good one...Old Dog...

#9 ·
The county court clerk where I grew up would set up a 'still at the fall festival every year and make "gasahol".

#7 ·
check with local marina, boat gas is ethanol free

#8 ·
Boat gas at the marina is ethanol free and here it is almost $6.00 a gallon.

#12 ·
This thread reminds me of the 1970's when leaded fuel was being fazed out. Everyone trying to find the last remaining locations to get leaded gas for there pre lead-free fuel vehicles. However, at some point you just have to accept that there is a new fuel in town and adjust.

#13 ·
Thats true, but maybe by then you will be riding something that is more ethanol frindly, but for the time being I use the ethanol free when available, and especially during the winter months where there is a good bit of sit time for the bike...
BTW-My 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis is E-85 rated, and I don't even look for non ethanol gas for it...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#14 ·
#16 ·
I consider myself very lucky to live within 5 minutes of 2 pure gasoline stations. I hate the ethanol mixture. Unlike the phasing out of leaded gas in the 70s (which was done for safety issues, lead=bad for humans), this fuel change is being propagated purely by politics and profits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.