Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi......2006 with 4000 miles. At 3000 rpm's, it has an horrible "Chirping" "Tweetie Bird" noise coming from the engine somewhere. It sounds like the left side. It is very loud! It sounds like a 40 pound Canary riding on my left side, chirping his fool head off. It is so annoying, I cannot ride at that speed. It starts coming on at 2500 & leaves completely at 3500. It is not the tank vent. At 3000 rpm's if I pull in the clutch, it goes away. If going down a grade at 3000, it mostly goes away. At 3000 rpm's steady speed or a slight uphill grade, it chirps like crazy. It is not my windshield, cables or on the outside. It seems to be internal. It also seems to be related to the clutch system. I can ride all day at 3500 (55mph) or higher) & nothing. If I back down to 50 MPH (3000 rpm's) it comes back with a vengence!

It has gotten to the point that either the chirp goes, or the bike will. It's that bad. It has done this almost since I had the bike, but has gotten worse. Other than that, it runs & starts perfect.

Anybody??????????????

No, I'm not taking it back to my dealer. "Mother Teresa" knows more about mechanics than them..............

Tcat
[email protected]

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Check your heat shelds, I had a noise like that on mine and found the sheld was loose.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My chirping was the same culprit as the above. same RPM range also but wasn't as loud as you claim yours to be.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
I have the same chiping. Was there a particular heat shield that you looked at? What did you do to remedy it?

Thanks!

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Hi......2006 with 4000 miles. At 3000 rpm's, it has an horrible "Chirping" "Tweetie Bird" noise coming from the engine somewhere. It sounds like the left side. It is very loud! It sounds like a 40 pound Canary riding on my left side, chirping his fool head off.............

Tcat
[email protected]
Have you looked for a Canary in your engine? Little buggers can be elusive :doh:

I would tend to agree with everyone else. Those heat shields can be a bugger if they are loose. But on the other hand, you don't want to make them too tight either as that can result in the hold-downs busting when the engine cools. Double edged sword - can get cut either way...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Sorry, but I don't remember what I said about this when I emailed you about it. :doh:

Have you had the seat and tank off? Might be something under there vibrating.
But the heat shields would be a good place to check first.

Pulling in the clutch, as well as coasting down a grade, removes the force of the engine to the drivetrain, which would inturn reduce whatever is vibrating. I don't think the noise is related to the clutch, other than that. (meaning the clutch is probably working just fine)

Can you get the noise while the bike isn't moving, by reving the engine to 3000rpm's?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmmm

Thanks for the replies............I sure hope it's not internal. I can't believe it is coming from the shields or something rubbing together. Evidently others are having the same problem too. My buddy has a 2004 & we switched bikes for about 10 miles the other day. When we rolled into his driveway, his statement was........"I wouldn't ride that S.O.B. again with that chirping noise blasting in my ear". His does not do it at all. Lucky me................

He didn't believe me on how bad it is until he rode it.

Again, it comes at 2500........is very loud at 3000, & quits at 3500 completely. The above never changes. The shields are tight, but I guess it don't mean they or something else isn't rubbing together causing the noise. Maybe I will pull the shields off & take it for a spin.

To answer the question of reving the engine at 3000 RPM's.......I have done that several times & no noise at all.

It don't make any sense to me that it will chirp like hell all day long at 3000 rpm's but at 3500 or higher all day long, there is no chirp at all. :doh:

One thing that I have noticed..........There isn't any or much of a chirp until the enging warms up or maybe about three to five miles.

Again.....thanks for all of the replies. Any more will also be appreaciated!

Tcat

·
Registered
553 Posts
My right side sheild was the culprit, took forever to get rid of the noise.Narrowed it down for sure when I removed the shield and then rode it. Put it back on and it was fine after that.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
My right side sheild was the culprit, took forever to get rid of the noise.Narrowed it down for sure when I removed the shield and then rode it. Put it back on and it was fine after that.
:lockd: :beerchug: :p :motorcycl: :pepper: :beerchug: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :beerchug:

Well done!!!

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Tcat,
Man, it sounds like you and I are riding the exact same bike! I noticed (and forgot to say it my post) that the chirping does start after my bike is warmed, as well. And, the bike doesn't have to be hot, just warm- kinda like the exhaust warming up quicker than the rest of the bike.....

I have actually placed rubber hoses as vibration dampening around lots of cables and wires on my bike hoping to quiet the bird. Never checked the heat shields.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heat Shield

That's it...............The heat shields are coming off! I'll try anything to get rid of that blasted noise. Even bowing three times to VN750 God's while facing North with my eyes closed & promising never to swear at my ride ever again................Even naked if it helps! :notworthy

It might be a few days though as it's cold & raining here..............I'll report back.........

Tcat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts