Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time for me pulling the carbs. Got everything disconnected. Losing my mind trying to pull it out. Saw a vid that said leave the boots connected to the engine but i don't think that is going to happen.

Hopefully some words of wisdom will appear here as i head back out for another bout.

I think i'm gonna go pray first and ask for samson's strength or something...

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
Rear cylinder boot stays on the carb. Front cylinder stays on the motor. Throttle cables can be disconnected after the carbs are out. Its a twist and pull kinda deal. With my ear shave I can have mine off in 10 minutes, literally. It just takes some practice.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
If you don't have an earshave take your time and grab a beer. It took me an hour with the surge tank still installed. Getting them back in can be even worse.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm nearly 3 hours into this and i find it to be absolute horse sh.... both boots are off, everything is disconnected. It's free floating and teasing me. I can move it back and forth. I can't find any way to twist / rotate / pitch / yaw that will allow this thing to clear. I am ready to kick the damn bike over.

If i ever get this thing out the very next thing i'm doing is earshaving. The "surge" tank needs to be renamed the "a-hole designer" tank.

This is my daily driver, if i dont have it back together by monday i'm screwed.

What frustrates me most is i can't find a video of anyone actually DOING this on a stock bike. Everyone does it off camera or just aims the camera at it and explains or has it earshaved already.

I'm all sorts of mechanically inclined and have never had this much trouble. feeling quite stupid at this point.

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
If your gonna earshave then jerk the boots from the airbox to the carbs out of there and cut the airbox apart and get it out. They will almost fall out after that

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
My only tip is to rotate the bottom towards you(Right side). I have taken mine off and put them on a few times, that USUALLY does the trick.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't originally planning on it but i'm starting to seriously consider.

How will it affect rain performance though? I drive this thing daily and it rains lots here in florida.

I don't think i can do it this time around...I can barely afford to function as it is.

I finally got out the carbs and all is well with the world. The insanity has passed for now...

I think though the 2nd time around should be easier. I'm considering doing a video of the method that finally worked.

It was unbelievably simple. I took a screwdriver and poked up the upper boot that goes into the surge tank. Carbs damn near fell out on their own after that.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I'm considering doing a video of the method that finally worked.
So you plan on putting the carb's back in, then make a video of pulling carb's back out ?

....just kidding ;) ;)

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
They come out best on the right side....(footbrake side)....dont think anybody mentioned that yet.....

Dianna has a post someplace detailing the whole thing with pics....

Took me 1/2 hr first time....4 mins the second......

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You twist them out, instead of pulling them out. What helps me get them out and back in easily is a nice, long screwdriver that I use as a crow bar between the air box and the frame to push it up and out of the way so the carbs can twist out. You might end up bending the air box a little, but I haven't made any real damage to it yet and I've done it a LOT of times now. It's plastic, it just bends back almost to its original shape again.

When you put them back on, same deal. I jack up the air box with a screwdriver and twist the carbs into place. I always leave both carb boots connected on the engine side.

Wish I could just come over and help you out with them.

I also developed a nice technique where I just kick them out of their place lol. But that's not for the faint of heart xD

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Only a fellow 700 owner would mention that !....lol !....:beerchug:

But seriously....unless yer a purist, yer gonna want to eventually sheitcan the airbox and that emissions crap anyway....it makes the bike run too lean and hot....

Go fer it dude....do the earshave, pods....coasters....you'll never curse yer carbs again, lol....

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
hey, rain isnt a big issue for me.. and I get about the same as you do... SW florida here..

if I wasnt so damn busy here at the condo this weekend, I would have been able to ride up and help you get them things out

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
After fighting the good fight and removing my carbs with the surge tank in I did an earshave simply because I didn't want to fight to get the carbs back in.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
After fighting the good fight and removing my carbs with the surge tank in I did an earshave simply because I didn't want to fight to get the carbs back in.
Ditto. I've had them back out a couple of times since and it is sooo much easier.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Its even easier when the motors pulled.lol

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ya...but thats way outta context bro....what the fook you been sniffin in that kitchen ?....lolol

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Ya...but thats way outta context bro....what the fook you been sniffin in that kitchen ?....lolol
I hear PAM cooking spray will make you a little loopy. Maybe he's taken up cookin'.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts