Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's important to bleed your brakes every two years according to the service manual. It's a common procedure and can be done for ~$12. I made a Youtube Video detailing the process and added it to my playlist that I'm building to showoff other common maintenance & service items on the Vulcan 750.

Check it out here on Youtube.
Here is the playlist of other Vulcan 750 maintenance & service videos.

Please share any tips/best practices you have about brake bleeding and I'll include them in the comments of this video. I'm always looking to learn more.

My next video will detail the spline lube procedure. Then front brakes. Then MAYBE tire changing using the zip tie method (I heard about this from Spockster and have looked at some other Youtube videos about it).

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
(y) (y)

Not sure if you meant to do it, but the link in your post starts the video about two minutes in.

My pet peeve brake tip: Don't over tighten bleeder screws, just tight enough to not leak or fall out is enough. (those screws on the cap too)

When I got my Buick, the brake fluid was as black as the tires. ABS doesn't bleed properly unless you activate the ABS system, either with a scanner or by slamming on the brakes at a reasonable speed.

A lot of the videos about zip ties make it look harder than it should be. I like to do it with the wheel standing up.

You could do a video about using the center stand, it popped right up for you.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(y) (y)

Not sure if you meant to do it, but the link in your post starts the video about two minutes in.

My pet peeve brake tip: Don't over tighten bleeder screws, just tight enough to not leak or fall out is enough. (those screws on the cap too)

When I got my Buick, the brake fluid was as black as the tires. ABS doesn't bleed properly unless you activate the ABS system, either with a scanner or by slamming on the brakes at a reasonable speed.

A lot of the videos about zip ties make it look harder than it should be. I like to do it with the wheel standing up.

You could do a video about using the center stand, it popped right up for you.
I'm not sure why the Youtube link starts at the two minute mark but I'll fix that. Thank you for letting me know; it's not what I intended. And I agree 100% with your pet peeve/tip. In fact, one of the bleeder screws is seized up on my 2013 Focus ST (whether from the previous owner or just age who knows).

I just watched a Youtube video during lunch detailing the zip tie procedure for DIY tire changes (hopefully this one starts at 00:00 lol). It does look harder than what I was anticipating. I'll just take my tires to my tire shop and pay to have new rubber mounted and the wheels balanced.

It's funny, your the second or third person who has commented on how easily I placed the bike on the center stand. I'll definitely make a video about it! It took some learning and getting used to it for me. When I first started I was so afraid that I would lose balance or drop the bike! Stay tuned for that, I'll add it to my to-do list. :)

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
A six point socket grips well on bleeders. Sometimes you need vise grips, or the bleeders just breaks off in the hole.

He does ok on the tire, more soap might've helped. It's easier putting the tire back on. One thing, I've always done it with two pairs of hands, it makes it easier and quicker. One squeezing the tire, one zipping it together until the beads touch each other. Two guys can rip the tire off , push the new one on, without using levers on the wheel.

I've been breaking beads with a large c-clamp, but there's a good bead breaker available that's small enough to hold in one hand and has a single large bolt arrangement to press the bead loose. Those are around $100.

Last I asked about it, the shops were charging $90 to mount two tires. Once I began doing it, all my friends have been bringing their bikes here. We get better tire prices online. ...and some shops despise carry-on tires that they didn't sell.

A lot of center stands aren't designed with that long foot bar, you get better leverage with your body weight with it. The old ones pretty much relied on momentum to stand up.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I’d be interested in hearing your center stand technique. I have been at war with my center stand since I got the bike. I still don’t truly know the best technique because when I do get it right it’s because I’m pissed that the first 14 tries didn’t work and I think it’s just rage at that point that gets it done.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Looks like you have room in your signature for your playlist.

Suggestion for the centerstand video... . For one of the camera angles show your foot on the foot pad raising the bike two or three times. Show your foot and the kickstand legs when they contact the floor. Body weight on that foot pad is everything.

You actually did it quicker than me, I have to get all set and psyched up. I've found the deep breathing usually brings a buddy over to help. :LOL: It was always easy until I bent the center stand, it leans now. One leg and the foot pad bar are tweaked.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d be interested in hearing your center stand technique. I have been at war with my center stand since I got the bike. I still don’t truly know the best technique because when I do get it right it’s because I’m pissed that the first 14 tries didn’t work and I think it’s just rage at that point that gets it done.
That made me chuckle. I was certainly very aprehensive at first. In fact, the very first time I used it I had a buddy of mine lift the rear of the bike from the luggage rack. Was that ideal? Probably not. ;)

I'll certainly make a video showing my process ASAP. I'm taking a break right now from the spline lube process/video because I need to charge my iPhone 8. :/

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you have room in your signature for your playlist.

Suggestion for the centerstand video... . For one of the camera angles show your foot on the foot pad raising the bike two or three times. Show your foot and the kickstand legs when they contact the floor. Body weight on that foot pad is everything.

You actually did it quicker than me, I have to get all set and psyched up. I've found the deep breathing usually brings a buddy over to help. :LOL: It was always easy until I bent the center stand, it leans now. One leg and the foot pad bar are tweaked.
That's great, thank you for the signature suggestion. I'll post the link to my Youtube Playlist there.

And I've taken note of your suggestions, which are very helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Last I asked about it, the shops were charging $90 to mount two tires. Once I began doing it, all my friends have been bringing their bikes here. We get better tire prices online. ...and some shops despise carry-on tires that they didn't sell.
You've probably already mentioned this in another thread but do you balance your tires after doing your own mounting?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've probably already mentioned this in another thread but do you balance your tires after doing your own mounting?
I actually didn't mention this yet. If I mount my own tires I would definitely have them balanced by a shop. But that's a big IF regarding if I'm actually going to do the zip-tie method. I'll most likely just bring the wheels and new tires to a shop and pay for mount + balance.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
I've been using Ride-On, a liquid balancer/sealer. If you go on their website look for the scratch and dent section for discounts, packaging with an upside down label, stuff like that. Ride-On can't grind the tire like balancing beads can.

Some of my friends have just been taking their chances and not doing any balancing, so far so good,

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been using Ride-On, a liquid balancer/sealer. If you go on their website look for the scratch and dent section for discounts, packaging with an upside down label, stuff like that. Ride-On can't grind the tire like balancing beads can.

Some of my friends have just been taking their chances and not doing any balancing, so far so good,
Plus it also depends on riding conditions/speeds. The fastest I've ever been on my Vulcan is 70mph when I was doing a "pull" on a backroad free way. 99% of my driving is below 60mph...more like 50mph or under.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Plus it also depends on riding conditions/speeds. The fastest I've ever been on my Vulcan is 70mph when I was doing a "pull" on a backroad free way. 99% of my driving is below 60mph...more like 50mph or under.
I pushed mine to the top speed once, have no desire to do it again. I know I posted it somewhere, 105-115mph, the wind resistance pretty well limits it. I know I'm going to break like a china plate if I hit the ground, lol. It's bad enough going down at 40, 100 isn't survivable.

Just saw a bike wreck where the rider was sitting at a stoplight and a pickup got t-boned and rolled over right into him. Ohh,... Stolen car running from cops ran the red light, straight at a vertical hillside.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pushed mine to the top speed once, have no desire to do it again. I know I posted it somewhere, 105-115mph, the wind resistance pretty well limits it. I know I'm going to break like a china plate if I hit the ground, lol. It's bad enough going down at 40, 100 isn't survivable.

Just saw a bike wreck where the rider was sitting at a stoplight and a pickup got t-boned and rolled over right into him. Ohh,... Stolen car running from cops ran the red light, straight at a vertical hillside.
I saw the same video. That's scary. I hope the motorcyclist is OK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts