Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know this is going to sound crazy but since I'm asking for opinions, please feel free to tell me it is. I feel like I know all the frequent responders well enough to post this and promptly be told it's hairbrained. Alas, I can't seem to discredit it. Maybe you guys can. I have no idea where this idea came from but here it is.

Mouse wheels. Ya know how the infrared computer mouse came out and everyone got rid of their mouse-wheeled mouse? Brace yourselves now cause here comes the crazy. What if you made a suit constructed of mouse wheels? Forget, for just a second, about how unbelieveably stupid that would look. Ok, so all the wheels on the front surface and rear surfaces face out. But on the other side of the individual plastic peices holding the mouse wheel, there's a pad. All these individual peices are chained or sewn together so while they're strong, the suit also breathes. Now, in the unfortunate event that you meet the pavement at speed, your protected by the padding. But instead of shredding all your leather and rolling over and over sustaining breakage, you kind of roll on down the road.

What if you use larger "wheels" and put them down the chest and back, then use smaller ones on the arms and legs to avoid flailing and hence breakage? Would how hot the wheels got become a problem? If yes, would the light burns be a better alternative to road rash? Is the suit likely to be too heavy? Is there too much speculation and ambiguity here to form an informed opinion? Should I delete this post and think about switching to decaf? :)

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Liberty,
Maybe that should be decafe tea that you switch to. Having hit the pavement late last year I would have to say that from my point of view I would not want to be "rolling" down the road after a fall. I wanted and did stop as soon as possible and scramble out of the way of traffic. Also due the nature of pavement (Nooks and Crannies), you would need wheels of a decent size to be of any use in rolling over such obstacles. A suit or even just a jacket would need to have a stiff platform configuration to prevent any sagging of the rider's body contours from touching the pavement that may cause drag while rolling. I am not sure such riding apparel would be very comfortable or allow enough movement to steer and do all the other things necessary while riding a motorcycle.

It is an interesting thought but I would rather rip some leather than be rolling down the road similar to a street luge in traffic and out of control.

I am glad that we have met before and emailed numerous times as I would not want this to be my first encounter with you. lol!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Alright, I know this is going to sound crazy but since I'm asking for opinions, please feel free to tell me it is. I feel like I know all the frequent responders well enough to post this and promptly be told it's hairbrained. Alas, I can't seem to discredit it. Maybe you guys can. I have no idea where this idea came from but here it is.

Mouse wheels. Ya know how the infrared computer mouse came out and everyone got rid of their mouse-wheeled mouse? Brace yourselves now cause here comes the crazy. What if you made a suit constructed of mouse wheels? Forget, for just a second, about how unbelieveably stupid that would look. Ok, so all the wheels on the front surface and rear surfaces face out. But on the other side of the individual plastic peices holding the mouse wheel, there's a pad. All these individual peices are chained or sewn together so while they're strong, the suit also breathes. Now, in the unfortunate event that you meet the pavement at speed, your protected by the padding. But instead of shredding all your leather and rolling over and over sustaining breakage, you kind of roll on down the road.

What if you use larger "wheels" and put them down the chest and back, then use smaller ones on the arms and legs to avoid flailing and hence breakage? Would how hot the wheels got become a problem? If yes, would the light burns be a better alternative to road rash? Is the suit likely to be too heavy? Is there too much speculation and ambiguity here to form an informed opinion? Should I delete this post and think about switching to decaf? :)
At least switch to Decaf,lol I see a problem with ever coming to a stop without hitting something solid.It sounds a bit far fetched but if it were put to use ,I think I would just as soon let some leather and padding scrub of some speed before I roll off the road and hit a curb,tree,parked car or whatever happened to be in my path,Trauma seems more serious to me than losing some skin(which I have done when younger).

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
How about just one BIG ball? Here's an idea so stupid I won't even start ripping it apart:
http://www.gizmag.com/safety-sphere-motorcycle-airbag/21354/

Now....little mouse balls? (well duh. They'd have to be small .... their freaking mice) .....anyway.... Yes, a plausible idea Liberty.

You'd have to have enough of them together to avoid "pinpoint" bruising...think "bed of nails"...

One issue is you kinda want to slide... But you do want to stop too. Early racers tried coating their leathers with metal studs.... The problem there is they heated up real fast grinding down the pavement and burned off the jackets.

The other issue would be weight...all those balls with the padding and stuff to tie them all together would add up compared to just plain slick leather. You'd have to be sure all those balls would actually spin freely even with some big riders weight and impact force.

But if your just covering the uh, flat areas of ones body, no reason it couldn't work......

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
LOL the first thing I thought was that the holders would shatter upon impact. Then you just have a bunch of jagged bits sticking off of you that you could roll over. While an interesting concept I don't think it would really be worth the risk.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Mouse balls are not going to help you if you high side into a road sign, or get T boned by some drunk. You don't get to pick your accident.

Armor and abrasion resistant coverage is the one choice that has the best chance of being usefull. The real key is avoiding such violent actions to start with. Keep alert. Use your brains. Learn your bike till it's an extension of you. Don't FUKUP.... Pretty simple really.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
Mouse balls are not going to help you if you high side into a road sign, or get T boned by some drunk. You don't get to pick your accident.

Armor and abrasion resistant coverage is the one choice that has the best chance of being usefull. The real key is avoiding such violent actions to start with. Keep alert. Use your brains. Learn your bike till it's an extension of you. Don't FUKUP.... Pretty simple really.
yeah, you're right. but also....sh!t happens! :doh:

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
This kind of thinking can evolve to revolutionized the way we make impact safety equipment if it develops. I would never discourage someone from attempting such a thing.
As for today, after work I really got a great laugh from reading the post the first time through, and it made my day.
Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am thinking you should make a suite with this mouse balls and come up with some sort of propulsion system for them. Then maybe you have something.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom, that's hilarious! Hey, I told you guys it was crazy! I didn't think about the fact that prolonging the time spent asphault surfing could be worse. And of course the whole thing would be contingent upon having the individual peices' connectors be unbreakable, which is really difficult. After thinking more about it (still drinking the 'leaded' stuff), I realized a more technology driven exoskeleton is probably better suited (pardon the pun) to the times. I'm referring to sensors for proximity warnings and the like.

What I really should have done is remembered the 20 minute rule. When an idea arrives and I can't seem to discredit it, I usually give it at least 20 additional minutes of thought before saying it out loud, let alone posting it on the internet! This is one of those ideas that should have stayed in the brain and not been let out. LOL!!! What about an impact gel? Ok forget it, I'm done, at least until the next cup. Thanks for entertaining the ridiculousness. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Every idea sounds good with Beer!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Wheel Suit! ;)

Hey! I saw a video with this guy, or someone with a similar suit, body surf down a mountain road in the Alps.
I`ll check my emails and see if I saved it.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Well don't feel silly Liberty, many ideas that don't sound wise often end being altered to work. The point is to not stop thinking or trying.

To give your concept some validity, I'll mention that way back long long ago when I roadraced, it was common practice for the riders to wipe down their leathers with Armor-All. The reasons were threefold:

1. So you could easily slide from one side of the seat to the other to hang off in turns.

2. So you'd be slippery... Makng the air flow over you easier for better aerodynamics.

3. So if you went down, you'd start sliding instead of "sticking" and thus not tumble.

Not sure if anyone still does this, but it kinda makes sence.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts

·
Bat
161 Posts
Check out base-jumping in a wingsuit for absolute madness!...some sites from the same place as the roller suiters.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Far out. I have never concerned myself with road rash while riding on the street. I do wear a full face helmet, just as much for comfort and face protection from the elements as crash protection. But otherwise, I ride in regular jeans, T shirts, MX jerseys, and in the winter, whatever it takes to stay warm. Usually not motorcycle specific. Clothes made for snow skiing work well. I have never crashed, and while there is no way of knowing what will happen in the future, I have enjoyed over 400,000 miles of riding without wearing 50 pounds of armor. If I had to wear all that, I would probably have given up riding a long time ago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts