Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harold Potter, founder of Protac, has retired, but is still making a few backrests. Here is a recent email from him copied from another forum:

I did retire last August. I had planned to sell a few each week on ebay to give myself a little to do. I had my ans. machine stating this. I kept getting a few orders on my email so I never did place one on ebay. I have decided that email is the best way for me to sell a few. So though I am retired and making these by myself, I plan to try and do several each week. To order send me an email. My ans. machine does now state this. Thanks Harold

email is [email protected] for those interested...

·
Registered
555 Posts
that's awesome to know. Heck I need a backrest like a motorcycle needs a comfortable seat. Thanks for the info. I will e-mail harold today.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Scootworks.com sell the Protec backrest. My was around $160 shipped. Takes about 2 weeks to get it cause its not built until you order it.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
He's in the process of making one for me right now. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I ordered one last night. Can't wait until it comes.
It was $130.00 price included shipping. What a deal!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you guys know if the backrest comes with everything needed for installation?

·
Registered
555 Posts
yes it comes with everything needed. Bolts onto your motorcycle using the existing bolts

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Mine arrived earlier today. Took me all of 5 minutes to put it on the bike.

Man...what a difference. Just sitting on the bike in the garage I could tell what a difference it will make.

Hope to get to take it out tomorrow and see.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mine wont be sent out to me until friday. asbrand did harold ask your height and weight to customize it?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Anyone got a pic of this backrest?

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Mine wont be sent out to me until friday. asbrand did harold ask your height and weight to customize it?
Yup. That he did.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Question for Pro-Tac owners

Love my Vulcan; not liking the seat. 6'1" with 32" inseam. I get one heck of a pressure point where my rear hits the step in the seat.

Does the Pro-Tac remove this pressure by allowing you to lean back while riding?

Thinking of getting a new seat (expensive), modding OEM seat (Don't want to because it is like new) or adding Pro-Tac.

I like to put in some miles and the current seat won't allow more than 30-40 minutes before I am uncomfortable.

Thanks for your feedback!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just ordered mine this afternoon. He is on a week and a half back log already! He says, "I'm not sure what happened, I've gotten a bunch of orders over the past week. I had to have a friend that used to work with me come and help me fulfill all the orders (10 in the past week). I think we are responsible for 5 or 6 of those!

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Heh....yeah, likely due to us. :-D

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Love my Vulcan; not liking the seat. 6'1" with 32" inseam. I get one heck of a pressure point where my rear hits the step in the seat.

Does the Pro-Tac remove this pressure by allowing you to lean back while riding?

Thinking of getting a new seat (expensive), modding OEM seat (Don't want to because it is like new) or adding Pro-Tac.

I like to put in some miles and the current seat won't allow more than 30-40 minutes before I am uncomfortable.

Thanks for your feedback!!
Why not do both, Mod a factory seat and get the protac... I have a stock seat in excellent shape that I am willing to let go cheap. (one less bike part for me to move into storage next week)

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Doing Both

Thanks for the suggestion; I might consider doing both, but I'd really like to try getting away with one mod or the other.

Seems like the seat is the root of evil (or discomfort) for me. but I was wondering if it like the difference between sitting on bleachers with or without a backrest. A backrest in that situation make a big difference so I want to see what some folks with the Pro-Tac have to say about it.

I'm sure some have gone even further and went with a Corbin or Mustang and a backrest. Hopefully some more folks will chime in with their own experiences and suggestions to help me make a final decision.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I am 6 foot, and found that the backrest helped some, but wasn't enough, so I made a new seat... i am too cheap to buy one... hence why I have a stock seat ready to be modded. my personal advice... get the backrest... worst case ... you will want a new seat to go with it... best case.. that is all you need.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I noticed since I got the gel pad seat it is alot more comfortable riding. It put's you about a inch higher too. i am 6'1 245lbs. and thought the stock seat just stunk. But that gel pad helps big time i hope the backrest is as good as all the reviews I have seen.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts