Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new front tire. The local mom and pop bike repair shop has the Shinko 100 and 110 for the same price - $69.99 with $12 mounting & balance. I'd like to know what you all think if you've done the bigger tire.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I went with the standard size for the front for me, I like the look of a big rear and small front, tires.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. I like the VN Custom 900.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
from all the bikes I seen at the gathering you can tell the bigger one by looking at it. they say it makes your speedo more accurate and I would think you would get a little longer life out of the bigger one as it would rotate less!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Pro, Speedo more accurate, better handiling more rubber on the road.
Con, wont fit with a touring fender.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
Pro, Speedo more accurate, better handiling more rubber on the road.
Con, wont fit with a touring fender.
yup! that's about it. the bigger front tire is way better on grated roads! you can't go wrong with the bigger front. well, unless you have a "touring fender". I will never go back to the stock size front tire.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Gold Wing front fender. Wonder if it will fit.

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
I have a Gold Wing front fender. Wonder if it will fit.

It may not. Be a good idea to measure your clearance.

The only "con" I can think of for the wider tire is the slight increase in rolling resistance , which might drop your mpg figure down a few tenths......

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It may not. Be a good idea to measure your clearance.

The only "con" I can think of for the wider tire is the slight increase in rolling resistance , which might drop your mpg figure down a few tenths......
If there is a greater rolling resistance, it comes with a "pro" too, -a larger contact patch for more traction! :smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
If there is a greater rolling resistance, it comes with a "pro" too, -a larger contact patch for more traction! :smiley_th
Yeah, but you can let air out of your tire and get more rubber on the road...and effect handling and braking the other way.

A bigger tire also adds more unsprung weight...but as you point out, the pros outweigh the cons by having more rubber holding you to the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts