Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 20k miles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post since most of what I needed help with was either covered in a the Clymer Manual or a post on here.

But more to the point, what's the proper battery size for the battery bay? The one that was sold inside the bike when I bought it was way too small and didn't have the cold-crank to get the bike running without sitting on a battery tender for a night. According to the book, the bike needs about 190 cold-cranks, and the battery I had only gave about 100.

This is really the last thing I need to get the bike road-ready for spring, as I've replaced the stator and replaced some old wiring.

TL;DR I need a battery replacement, preferred to be non-lithium.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
YTX14AHL (14 AMP HOUR) 210-220 cranking amps

The extra money for the agm type is money well spent, especially on this bike. AGM - absorbed glass mat. Wet cells are very outdated tech. You just can't beat an agm, unless it's lithium.

I got a Magnapower agm from Advance Auto seven years ago, good battery, but it looks like they're selling a different brand now. I also bought a $30 agm online for an atv, also a good battery. Smaller battery, lower price.

Shop around!

Here's the battery Advance has now: Diehard Gold -
BTX14AHL-BS

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would highly recommend a sigmastek battery. They're generally under $50 with shipping and mine has lasted over 2 years with a ton of discharges. It still holds 13.1-13.2 volts. I was only expecting to get a year out of it

·
Registered
1989 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 20k miles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YTX14AHL (14 AMP HOUR) 210-220 cranking amps

The extra money for the agm type is money well spent, especially on this bike. AGM - absorbed glass mat. Wet cells are very outdated tech. You just can't beat an agm, unless it's lithium.

I got a Magnapower agm from Advance Auto seven years ago, good battery, but it looks like they're selling a different brand now. I also bought a $30 agm online for an atv, also a good battery. Smaller battery, lower price.

Shop around!

Here's the battery Advance has now: Diehard Gold -
BTX14AHL-BS

Thanks! I'll give that a go tomorrow, thankfully there's an Advanced Auto near my house and it's in stock. Much appreciated!

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
Just as a note, many have found, including me, that ease of starting can be improved by doing the ignition pickup coil mod. It has a good writeup with pics in the electrical section as a sticky. It helps with hot starts for sure in my case. Just something to consider.
While your at it, check all the connections from the battery to the starter. Good clean tight connections will deliver the optimum amps for the battery you have.

·
Banned
1 Posts
When it comes to batteries, be sure you read the manufactured labels and check the type of battery you want. Do check the maintenance and the cautions, as not handling the battery would cause sparks and explosions. I would recommend is to go for a Yuasa battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts