Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Project Bike: The beginning! Help with wiring

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mge_1 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I spend any money on this bike I'm going to see if I can get it to crank over and start. I have 2 wires that are not connected and don't have a clue where they go.

UPDATE: It looks like this goes directly to the battery from what it looks at on my 89. Please let me know if anyone disagrees lol
The first is a Gray wire with Red stripe that goes to the fuse box:

UPDATE: I think but still not sure that this yellow wire goes to the stator. There are 3 on my 89 but I only see 2 on the 91 assuming this is the missing one?... Ideas?
Second is a Yellow wire that goes into the regulator. It has some melting on the outer plug side but not the rectifier side:

Just took a look at my 89 but not sure if the wiring is the same. I can't see the wires as they are wrapped in tape and I don't want to unwrap them. One more thing I found is the Solenoid looks like they put the cable to the starter on the wrong terminal. They put it on the one toward the left in this picture. Can someone please confirm:

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to even connect a battery until I know where these need to go...

Also the fan wire is not connected to anything so I'm going to need to know where that goes as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Update: I'm thinking (hoping) that the reason they could not get the bike started is because the 3rd stator wire looks like it was broken and they couldn't figure out where the wire from the regulator went. The wire was set back inside the cloth shield about 2 inches.

#3 ·
UPDATE: It looks like this goes directly to the battery from what it looks at on my 89. Please let me know if anyone disagrees lol
The first is a Gray wire with Red stripe that goes to the fuse box:
Yes, the W/R wire from JB 8-pin connector pin 1 goes directly to battery. I guess your wires are dirty..

UPDATE: I think but still not sure that this yellow wire goes to the stator. There are 3 on my 89 but I only see 2 on the 91 assuming this is the missing one?... Ideas?
Second is a Yellow wire that goes into the regulator. It has some melting on the outer plug side but not the rectifier side:
Yes, three yellow wires from the R/R to stator, but one of them also goes to JB 10-pin connector pin 9. Does not matter which one.

One more thing I found is the Solenoid looks like they put the cable to the starter on the wrong terminal.
Does not matter which way you connect it.

I'm thinking (hoping) that the reason they could not get the bike started is because the 3rd stator wire looks like it was broken and they couldn't figure out where the wire from the regulator went.
The stator and R/R are not required to start the bike. So that is not the reason why the bike does not start.

#4 · (Edited)
The stator and R/R are not required to start the bike. So that is not the reason why the bike does not start.
Ok. Here is what I've tried so far. Disconnected the R/R so that I don't have to worry about the yellow wire at this time. From there I figured I'd check for spark. I did not get any spark from either coil. I looked up some info and found that I could bypass the ignitor by grounding the coils directly to the frame. If I get spark then from what I understand the ignitor is bad. If I don't get spark the pick-up coil? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Ok. Here is what I've tried so far. Disconnected the R/R so that I don't have to worry about the yellow wire at this time. From there I figured I'd check for spark. I did not get any spark from either coil. I looked up some info and found that I could bypass the ignitor by grounding the coils directly to the frame. If I get spark then from what I understand the ignitor is bad. If I don't get spark the points are bad? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
The vn does not have points. I don`t understand this igniter bypass, but I don`t think the engine will start w/o it.

#6 ·
Yea. Sorry about that. I put points instead of pick-up coil. Anyway. About testing the ignitor and coils. This is what I found:

Ok ; So now the other wire should be a solid ground; Probe that wire and then probe the negative side of the battery and see if there is continuty;
What i have done in the past, is to make my own ground with a peice of wire, you will be bypassing the ignitior on the ground side, whilst the ignitor pulses on the positive; Give that ago, you maybe loosing the ground through the ignitor.
I'm thinking this could be an issue. Either way, I am picking up some coils and an ignitor thanks to KIMMERLING so I will try changing them out.

#7 ·
Quote:
Ok ; So now the other wire should be a solid ground; Probe that wire and then probe the negative side of the battery and see if there is continuty;
What i have done in the past, is to make my own ground with a peice of wire, you will be bypassing the ignitior on the ground side, whilst the ignitor pulses on the positive; Give that ago, you maybe loosing the ground through the ignitor.
That is nonsense for the VN750. Do not ground the coils, it will do no good.

The igniter needs a few correct voltages to work, which are easy to check:
Text Diagram

The pickup coil voltages you cannot test with a multimeter, but you can check their resistances.

#8 ·
Thanks! I will try that as soon as I can.

#9 ·
I've tried doing more work on the bike today. I tested the igniter and the readings are good. I checked the resistance in the coils. They are both 2.3. I'm not sure if I'm testing the secondary correctly as I get no reading at all from them.
When I turn the key on, the red primary does get 12v.
I also checked the resistance in the pickup coil and the rear is 344, front 335.

All fuses are good. I think I need a new JB though because I can't get it to turn over with the start button. I just get a click in the JB. Jumping the solenoid does turn over the engine. Is it possible to start the engine without the JB? I was told that it ran just a few months ago but they could have been lying of course. I'm glad I talked them down a lot. Any help will be appreciated.

#10 ·
Let me chime in on this, First to answer your question from what i can see in the normal configuration you need the junction box to start the engine. It contains the starter circuit relay, more then likely thats the clicking sound you hear when you hit the start button. There is a link to a site where you can download a service manual for the VN750 its located on one of my post when i had trouble. My post "Headlight problem just got worse" its
dated 03-25-2011. Its full of schematics, Page 15-30 for the starter system. One of the guys gave me that link. Its a PDF file (Adobe Acrobat) 112M in size. Or i could look at the schematic and try to tell you how i would check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.