Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me which progressive shock is the replacement to ours? I've emailed them several times and got nothing.. I see 412's are common here but what's the rest of the numbers? I assume they are the most common for the price.. anyone doing any different ones, 440's or something and can you tell much of a difference? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I put 412s on another bike we have and I love 'em - they are amazing, and I started to think that they'd be a nice improvement over stock. Don't know the sizing for our bikes, though, as most folks here seem ok with OEM. But I could do some research and let you know. To my mind, they are well worth the money.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got the 412 shocks and I believe 12" is stock size. When I get home tonight I can check my computer for the web site where I bought mine.
I thought the price was really good...

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I would say I am happy with OEM's except I'm tired of taking my bags off to check the one shock that has the stem in the back. Just figured if I could find a set on ebay I'd try them out. can anyone confirm the 12" size for sure? also is it worth it to go up to a higher $$ shock than the 412's? thanks for the help so far!

borto

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
I had a set of 412's on mime and they were great. Stock shock length is 12.5 inches (eye to eye)

The big advantage of the 412's is you can adjust spring preload to 5? diffrent settings.(quickly) for weight or prefrence. When riding solo I had them sorta soft, and with passneger it only took a moment to tighten them up.

I got mine used from a member for around 100 bucks, but after riding with them I'd do it again even if I had to pay retail.

KM

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks KM.. one more question. Would I have to undo my bolt on bags to change the settings?

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
thanks KM.. one more question. Would I have to undo my bolt on bags to change the settings?
Hard to tell from your photo, but the preload adjustment is just a matter of turning the collar that is at the bottom of the spring. Most shocks like these require a special sized spanner to make this easier, and I just happened to have one that kinda fit. Progressive makes a tool that snaps onto a 3/8 drive ratchet, making turning the collar even easier. Part SW 784

http://tinyurl.com/5t6s4g

Gee, what an annoying website...

Anyway, if you can get to the bottom of the shock, you should be able to change the preload.

KM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts