Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a quote from Progressive that was less than $10 a month for my bike. Anyone have thoughts about this company?

DT

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Given the quality of some (heck, all) of their TV ads of late (and also AT&T), I'm surprised anyone still wants to do business with this company.

I got really good rates with esurance. But there are so many variables in the bike insurance equation--where you live, what you ride, your demographic, past riding history, credit score, etc. What might be great for me may suck for you (and vice-versa).

I'd shop the motorcycle specific companies too--and look at their policies to make sure your comparing "apples to apples" among different quotes.

Let us know what you find/decide...!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've had Progressive since 97 so far so good.. But I have never put in any claims.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Never had a claim, but my moto and car insurance is very very cheap at progressive, no other quotes in the last 3 years have even come close

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I have Progressive and was clipped by a cager a few weeks ago. They totalled my bike and cut me a check within two weeks. My claim is on line and I can track every detail of the process. My representative has been in contact with me every step of the way and return phone calls and/or emails within 1 business day.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Cheapest insurance I can find at around $100/bike/year, but never had a claim either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Progressive is costing me 287 bucks a year, with collision, comprehensive and roadside assistance. I'm sure it would be much cheaper if I lived anywhere else besides the ny metro area. Curse ny and it's ****ty insurance law!

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Progressive is costing me 287 bucks a year, with collision, comprehensive and roadside assistance. I'm sure it would be much cheaper if I lived anywhere else besides the ny metro area. Curse ny and it's ****ty insurance law!
$ 78.00 year for same coverage on my 2001 ( State Farm ). Do you bundle it with your car Insurance? My friends new VN 900 cost him 96.00 a year. Not metro NY but still NY state.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I let progressive quote mine but it was somewhat higher than the Lizard,er,Gecko with the same limits of liability I pay $208 a year for the works ,collision comprehensive and road side assistance,but i also have my two cages insured with them also ,and i can't comment on their service since i have never filed a claim.

·
Registered
42 Posts
$ 78.00 year for same coverage on my 2001 ( State Farm ). Do you bundle it with your car Insurance? My friends new VN 900 cost him 96.00 a year. Not metro NY but still NY state.
No, my car insurance company doesn't do motorcycles, so I went with progressive for that.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Since I've got the house and the cars through allstate, I got a better rate through them. Even the progressive guy I talked to said he couldn't match it since I have multiple policies.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Since I've got the house and the cars through allstate, I got a better rate through them. Even the progressive guy I talked to said he couldn't match it since I have multiple policies.
Allstate was double on the cars and the bike for me,The area you live in is rated by the insurance companies and it seems allstate isn't too keen on eastern ky.

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Growing up, when i got my 1st truck, a 95 ford ranger 2wd reg cab, back in 2001, i had it insured with STATEFARM, cuz that's where my parents had all their policies. For full coverage back then I paid $145.
When I got my new truck, a 99 Ranger ext cab 4wd, got it in 2005, my full coverage was $189. I was paying more for insurance than my truck payment.
I switched to GEICO, and then got my Vulcan, and had both under GEICO. I informed the gecko people i wanted all round FULL COVERAGE on the bike and the truck, i had a loan still out for the truck. Full coverage for the truck was $149 and $20something for the bike.
After 9 months, my truck got broken into, the drivers side window smashed out, and my sub and amp stolen. I called GEICO, just wanting the insurance to cover the glass, not the amp/sub, and they informed me i didnt have full coverage with glass!! I argued and argued with them, got so pissed off. I told them i have a loan/lien out on the truck, i was quoted/told i had FULL COVERAGE, but they disagreed! So i end up buying a window from a junkyard for $90 and installing it myself, pain in the butt.

In any event, i immediately switched to PROGRESSIVE, was very happy with the quotes they gave me on the truck and bike, and re-assured me that glass would be covered!! I didnt like the fact that I pretty much had to pay for the bike all up front, 1/2 the payment one month, and then the other half another month. The total was like $250 or so. So about $20 something a month.
They also informed me I had road side coverage with the bike, which i thought was a sweet deal.

So I went from $149 with GEICO, to like $129 with PROGRESSIVE.
I had progressive for two years, no claims.
But then i wanted to insure my 2 ATVS, and the same crap, they wanted me to pay the full premium up front for the 2 atvs.

I went back to STATEFARM.
I now have my truck fully insured for $110 a month
Bike for $15 fully covered
1 atv for $10 fully covered
1 atv for $13 fully covered

Thats $148 total. I also have a $10 a month renters insurance and $10 life insurance, so $168 total.

But Statefarm doesn't have road side assistance for the motorcycle, only for the truck, don't know whats up with that and why not?

Overall I am happy with Statefarm again... but you have to consider my truck is now older, I hit the 25 age marker, so insurance dropped, and have never had any claims or accidents or tickets.

I like statefarm because i can pay monthly for the bike and my 2 atvs, instead of paying it all up front.

Peace

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Glen, that's good info. I do understand that most insurance companies do require full payment on 'toys' like quads, snowmobiles, bikes...

My home and autos are with State Farm now, not my bikes; they were way higher in price than the other insurance quotes for my area.

DT

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I'm in agreement with Knife. The people that run Progressive are the elitist way leftwing supporters.
Just remember, None of them are your bud, your friend, or your neighbor. They are contract fulfillers, that is ALL
36 years as a Broker and they are all itching for your $$$$$
Shop & shop hard, email me if I can be of help to any of the members here.
Ride Safe & for a long time

·
Registered
194 Posts
forget all others!! markel motorcycle insurance!!

http://markelinsuresfun.com/motorcycle-insurance

and NO i don't work for them... i have progressive auto but they can't TOUCH these guys!

currently insured: 1988 vn750, 1986 en450, 1975 rd350, 1983 xl600r, 1999 kdx220r, 2003 xr250r, 2005 klx300r, might actually be another couple of my bikes on the policy, FULL COVERAGE even on the dirt bikes, i hit a tree while doing a wheelie i am COVERED, think the deductable is $250... policy for ALL BIKES is around $125 a year! i called to drop my son when he joined the marines, they told me i can leave him on for FREE and he is fully insured to ride any of the bikes. they are all insured against theft. these guys are GREAT and have had them for probably 10 years. i bet they will beat your auto insurance bike insurance bundled!

my 88 vn750 is $65 a frickin' YEAR full coverage!:smiley_th

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Markel just quoted me $125 for 12 months. Not bad....

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Because I have a personal issue with Progressive, I would never recommend them.
I'm 100% with KM & 76dore on this one for sure... Also gotta add that GEICO did right & fair with me on my 06 that I wrecked... I'm stickin with'em, you find out what Ins. you have when you need it, usually not before...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
The people that run Progressive are the elitist way leftwing supporters.
Progressive - owned by George Soros
Geico - owned by Warren Buffett

I had an unpleasant experience with Markel, so I won't use that company again. I just got a new policy with Dairyland Cycle Ins. (division of Sentry Ins.)

That all being said, at the end of the day you gotta go with the company that will give you peace of mind. I'm sure if you do a search on each company you are going to find a number of disgruntled customers (or ex-customers) as well as satisfied customers.

I've never had a claim with a motorcycle insurance company, and hope that remains the case forever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts