Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a DIY video for replacing/upgrading the front fork springs and changing the fork oil.

Hope someone will find it useful.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Nice video. For those without a metric measuring cup, 320ml is about 10.8 oz.
I think I used 11oz. I also cut the spacers at 7-1/4"...as I had a Plexistar windscreen on. I also used 15w Bel Ray oil.

In retrospect, I'd go with a 10w instead, but use the same preload for a bike with no windscreen or a rider under 185lbs.

Make sure that spring clip is seated well, or you'll be chasing the spring and parts down as they will shoot out like a rocket.

I suggest covering the tank with a few thick towels and unclamping the handlebars....you'll have more room to work with and a better view of what you are doing.
Having help makes it so much easier.

Thanks for the video...

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I nearly took my head off as the spring launched on my second fork. I was speaking with my dad while working and lost my place in the process. This is an amazing video. Many thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knifemaker,

I also have a windscreen for my bike, just had already removed it for the video. I went with 7 1/8'' preload, the video does mention adjusting that value to suit your preference.

If I was smart I would have covered the tank. I definitely would have covered it if I had been working on my FJR. Thankfully I didn't scratch anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have an FJR? /QUOTE]

Yes, my Vulcan is the 2nd bike I've owned. My needs changed and it was no longer meeting all of them so I went and bought a '15 FJR, which I am absolutely in love with. You can see my FJR in most of my other videos.

My wife has now started riding the Vulcan more, which is why I've kept it around for now. Eventually my wife thinks she wants to get an FJ-09. Or maybe a Triumph Tiger 800. We have hopes to ride our bikes to Alaska together in a year or two.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I loved my FJR too....it is in my opinion, one of the best bikes you can own.
I only sold it because where we moved to demanded a lighter and more nimble bike.
I assume you're a member here:
FJRForum
Yes, I'm a member on that Forum as well as the FJROwners Forum. Plus the facebook groups. Great community. Great bike. I find it interesting that there seem to be many less posts on the FJR Forum along the lines of "Help me fix my bike" than on this forum. Don't get me wrong, the VN750 is a great motorcycle, but the FJR is so darn reliable and so much fun to ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
To be fair, many of the bikes here with problems are 20+ years old. The FJR is a more refined and....expensive motorcycle...with modern day (21st century) electronics, fuel injection, etc, etc...

The Vulcan was a value bike, a lot of features (for the time) for little money. Not saying they skimped anywhere, but the design and components never changed since 1985, and many of the bikes we see here with issues were in sad condition when bought by the current owners.

I still have a VN750 in the garage...that I hope to get going someday, and yes, the FJR is a really fun bike to ride :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be fair, many of the bikes here with problems are 20+ years old. The FJR is a more refined and....expensive motorcycle...with modern day (21st century) electronics, fuel injection, etc, etc...

The Vulcan was a value bike, a lot of features (for the time) for little money. Not saying they skimped anywhere, but the design and components never changed since 1985, and many of the bikes we see here with issues were in sad condition when bought by the current owners.
I totally agree with you about the Vulcan, its a great value. I certainly spent much, much less on it than my new FJR. Features like shaft drive, DOHC, etc, are missing from the newer Vulcan 900s. I have ridden the 900 and really didn't see it as much of a step up from my 750, except for the fuel injection.

I feel I've done all the important mods to my VN750, except perhaps the ear shave. Whoever ends up buying it when the time comes for me to sell it will get a great bike at a fair price. I've got the MCCT's, Tuxedo Stator Mod, Mosfet RR, AGM battery, new carb diaphragms, oversized Metzler tires, lubed the drive splines, new progressive fork springs, fairly new front brake pads, etc, etc.

Only problem I have with it is the tuxedo stator mod leaks a very small amount of oil, enough to leave a spot on the ground after riding, but not enough to notice a level difference between oil changes.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
That's OK. My Bonneville leaks a little bit of oil over a few weeks time.... But it's alright....it's a Bonneville....a British twin that doesn't pee a bit of oil now and then likely has something wrong with it.......;)
...or is out of oil.how do you know when to put oil in a Harley?when it stops leaking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts