Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some Progressive shocks (412-4005) that I purchased a while back from a user on here. I love the way they lower the rear and the ride isn't too harsh. But the bushings/dampers are super cracked and deteriorating. Since I was purchasing the parts to do my balance dampers, I went ahead and added in some new stock bushings to see if I could just replace the progressive ones with stock ones.

WARNING TO ALL: stock bushings will NOT fit. They are too small. So that's my bad.

So, I sent a note to progressive to see where I can get some of the correct bushings. In the meantime, how the hell do you get the old bushings out? They are grown in there! I had to completely mutilate the one that I did manage to get out and that took a long time and a lot of cussing.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I have some Progressive shocks (412-4005) that I purchased a while back from a user on here. I love the way they lower the rear and the ride isn't too harsh. But the bushings/dampers are super cracked and deteriorating. Since I was purchasing the parts to do my balance dampers, I went ahead and added in some new stock bushings to see if I could just replace the progressive ones with stock ones.

WARNING TO ALL: stock bushings will NOT fit. They are too small. So that's my bad.

So, I sent a note to progressive to see where I can get some of the correct bushings. In the meantime, how the hell do you get the old bushings out? They are grown in there! I had to completely mutilate the one that I did manage to get out and that took a long time and a lot of cussing.
A few on this forum can answer your question....Slim and/or Wolfie are two of the experienced members with answers.
many here will assist.....
hth

:smiley_th

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Armour all and a socket smaller than the shock opening and larger then the metal center.place shock in vice and spray rubber with armourall and pound rubber out with the socket and a BFH (big effin hammer)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Progressive and ordered the replacement bushings from them. They should be here by the time I get back from vacation. I talked to Kyle who was super nice and explained to me how they do it. Of course they use an arbor press, but a vice could work too I reckon. He also gave me a heads up that on one side of the new bushings there are numbers. The lip on that side is a little different so if you place that side down it will press in easier. He also said any kind of grease will work and the new bushings are polyurethane instead of rubber.

·
200% senile
164 Posts
I called Progressive and ordered the replacement bushings from them. They should be here by the time I get back from vacation. I talked to Kyle who was super nice and explained to me how they do it. Of course they use an arbor press, but a vice could work too I reckon. He also gave me a heads up that on one side of the new bushings there are numbers. The lip on that side is a little different so if you place that side down it will press in easier. He also said any kind of grease will work and the new bushings are polyurethane instead of rubber.
Great detailed info! I had heard Progressive was super cool about working with ya, even when you aren't buying a new set from them. How much did the set of bushings cost with shipping?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I used a vise with the one socket on each side like ODD said, one big one to push the bushing out into,and smaller one that will fit through the shock eye to push it out. I skipped the hammer part and just screwed the vise together with the handle ,it works like the arbor press, You're on the right track ,an extra set of hands to help hold the sockets in position would be nice but you can do it without help.

I believe that may be the only thing I ever skipped the hammer part on, after I thought on that statement :smiley_th

Any one ever notice the initials for Ole Dirty Doc, spells odd ? You'll have to forgive me doc, it was just looking at me as I read over my post.:D

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since my old bushings were shot anyway, I just cut/pried/mutilated them until they came out. Now the new ones that I put in...I found a video that worked wonderfully! You have to play with the hose clamp a little bit but it really worked well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6zMmc8Xco

·
200% senile
164 Posts
Since my old bushings were shot anyway, I just cut/pried/mutilated them until they came out. Now the new ones that I put in...I found a video that worked wonderfully! You have to play with the hose clamp a little bit but it really worked well:

Very clever! I will remember this simple trick.
Thanks for the link, much appreciated!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Good idea.but after the hose clamp comes off you could do the same with the nut washers and bolt instead of the BFH

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried that. It doesn't quite pop all the way through. But just a little tap with a SFH (smaller freakin hammer) and it pops right in place.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts

This is the kind of thing fathers would show their kids when they were growing up. Before all of the important distractions like, video games and laying around eating chips. :mad:

Thanks for sharing Deviate.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Thanks for the Great video link !

:smiley_th

1 - 14 of 14 Posts