Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i recently purchased a 1997 vulcan 750 that has 15k on it. the previous owner took very good care of it and it has been garage kept. I've been having trouble with getting the bike started. Me and my cousin jumped the battery and used starter fluid but it would stall out unless i was giving it gas on the throttle. the weather was decent enough for me to take it up the street and back but everytime i slow down, if i dont give it gas, she dies. i've tried the little black knob under the gas switch with no luck. im starting to get discouraged, ive never worked on bikes and am getting worried she'll never run right and i wasted $2000. Any replies are welcome and much appreciated. Thanks in advance!:motorcycl

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
You didn't jump it from a running vehicle (12v) did you? That can wreck some of the electrical system, if you have to jump from a 12 volt do it with the vehicle off. You could possibly have a clogged idle jet or the boots (black rubber from carb to cylinder head) may not be sealed properly, allowing too much air in the engine. You can check that by spraying a little wd-40 around the boots, if revs go up you have a leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea we used a car just to get it started then immediatley took off the cables. it started up fine 4-5 more times after that when not being jumped or charged at all. My problem is, i cant get her to keep idling unless shes fully choked or im turning the throttle to keep it at 1100 rpm. all new spark plugs and gas and all that. plus she only fires after a shot of eether. im just hoping im not gonna spend all summer in the garage instead opf on the road :(

·
Registered
493 Posts
You could try draining the carby bowls, maybe there is some water in the fuel. You will see a brass drain screw at the very bottom of each carb.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Try back blowing your carbs. Search the forum for it. If you do indeed have clogged up jets or something this may help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to try the sea foam thing and see if that works..this may sound stupid, but how do i do that? sorry, like i said im bran new at this. thanks everybody for your input and tips. really appreciate them all

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
im going to try the sea foam thing and see if that works..this may sound stupid, but how do i do that? sorry, like i said im bran new at this. thanks everybody for your input and tips. really appreciate them all
Read post #7 lol. Use the red "search" bar up top.:rockon:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts